1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice on good poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jcjensen42, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Jcjensen42

Jcjensen42

Sep 7, 2017
    My SVT 4 Pro took a dump yesterday during practice and I could use some advice in determining how to replace it.

I run the SVT 4 mono bridged (1600 watts, I believe) through an Ampeg 810 cab. I do not like the tone of the SVT 4 so for the last couple years I've been running a rackmount SansAmp through the effects loop. I could be wrong, but my understanding has always been that this overrides the preamp in the SVT 4 so it's basically just a power amp.

I'm looking at amps and am leaning towards the SVT Classic, but it occurred to me that a much cheaper option may be to just buy a strong power amp, since that seems like it would essentially be the same setup I already had. After a short search, I found the Crown XLI1500 which I believe will do the job.

I'm an experienced player, but have never used a separate pre/power amp setup before. Do you guys think I'm on to something with this setup? Am I missing something that makes this not such a great idea? Any recommendations on good power amps if that's the way to go?

Thanks!

2. We have several Crowns at work. Been in operation for decades. Don't get used as heavily as they might in your case, but they have a good reputation. At least the old ones, as I have just attested to. As long as the Sans will properly drive the Crown, and hopefully someone else can fill in that blank, that seems like a way to get it done.

3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I've used a Mackie FR1400 as my power section with various preamps for over 20 years w/o any problems at all.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  4. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I personally love the pre/power option (other than the weight) and have had great success with my Carver power amps. I've got 2 of their older power amps, and they sound incredible (IMHO).

20170402_143840-jpg.jpg

5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    lfg953b9gd.jpg

6. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Many won't, but I'd throw a 30 band graphic eq between the sans amp and power amp so you can fine tune to any room, and use it as a high and low pass filter.

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    He has a rackmount SansAmp already.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    The thing with most power amps is that they have an input sensitivity that needs to match, or be close to the output of whatever preamp you are using, otherwise you may get mixed results. Some of the newer power amps have adjustable input sensitivity, so unless you know that the Crown will matchup with the SansAmp, I would look for one of those with the power you need.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  9. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    I just picked up a Crown XLS1002 and it's pretty awesome. Super light, 1100W bridged into 4ohm, LPF at 30hz, .775 input sensitivity, fairly cheap. Used it with an SVT-IIp and it was great. Using it now with a Verellen Meatsmoke and its badass. Running into an 810e as well.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    RobertUI likes this.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

OP you didn’t fill out your profile, why is that? We have no idea where in the world you live. If it’s in the Americas take a look at the offerings at Carvin.com. I have a bunch of their power amps and none of them has given me a moments worry.

11. Crest, Peavey, or QSC. Personally I use a Crest ProLite 3.0.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021