need advice on home recording upright bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by kik4adog, Jan 29, 2002.

1. kik4adog

Jan 3, 2002
    My band and I are going to start doing a type of a home recording and I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions of ways to mic upright bass.
    I've heard some great sounding upright bass in Barenaked Ladies music.And in one song I heard what sounded to me (And I'm just making an assumption here) like the bass was being run straight in to the board from a pickup and then on a second track was the input from a microphone on the bass.
    I thought of this because when he hits the higher notes on the G string, it sounds like 2 basses playing in unison.One with the tinny sound you would get from a microphone picking up the true upright bass sound.And one with a more bassy tone that you could get from using a pickup into a preamp or something.
    Anyway...maybe that's not standard.That was just one thing I had a hunch that was done.I'm kinda curious if I'm right...If anyone wants to explore this,the name of the song is "Straw hat and old dirty Hank" off the Born on a Pirate Ship album.

Anyway...I mainly just want some good advice on how to record the upright for a rock n' roll type of band.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

There was a discussion about this not too long ago...

But the technique I described in there was geared toward a more natural acoustic sound. If you want something a little more electric, try recording a mic and pickup on seperate channels and then mixing to whatever sounds good. If you're gonna use compression, don't put it on until AFTER the track is in the can, as it can easily ruin a good take. Use a flat EQ when recording, and tweak the initial sound by varying the mic placement until you find the sound you're looking for.

Good luck.