1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Advice on Ibanez SR305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dane Coles, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Have a lead on trading my MIM Precision for an Ibanez SR305. Going to play it tomorrow but didn't recognize the photos as SR series - looks like there are only 3 knobs in the photos, I thought the SR305 had 5 control knobs? Any advice on model/year? 20160124_142147. 20160124_142159.

2. Maz

Maz

Jan 9, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Older model, maybe Sr305dx?

3. Do you think it will still be playable/valuable to trade my MIM Pbass?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Man, I love some Ibanez basses. I must have sold 500 of them. I have even owned several. So I am not anti Ibanez.

However, that is an OK bass at best. They make much better 5 string basses that would be equal to the value of your P bass. That one should sell for $150 in my opinion. Unless your P bass is in bad shape it should be worth more.

Now, if you get there and play the thing, and it feels amazing, do whatever you like. But I never liked that particular model. It is the "starter pack" of 5 strings to me.

If it were me, I would hold out altogether for something better. Or, if I were really wanting to go up to the 5, maybe sell my P bass and then go shopping here in the classified section. TBers are stellar individuals to deal with for the most part. Most of my gear came from the fine folks here.

Either way, best of luck with your hunt.

Maxdusty likes this.
  5. Maz

Maz

Jan 9, 2011
    Albuquerque
    If you like the way it feels, you can probably find a second hand MiJ SR885 on eBay which would be a better trade from the P. The 885's had better build quality, nicer hardware, pups etc in my limited experience (played them side by side a few times)

JustForSport and Maxdusty like this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Recommand 2016 SR305 if the price you can affort.
    Personally i not prefer get USED bass guitar, but if that bass guitar sound good in great condition from the bassist i familiar with, yes, i will.

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I fully agree with this post. I've owned a number of Ibanez basses (something like 20) so I'm not anti-Ibanez either by any means. Spot on with the estimate price too.
    The MIM P bass if in good condition is worth double that. The SR305 does look like an older SR305DX but the last knob is supposed to be stacked from what I'm aware of. It could be an older version of it or perhaps it was modified? it could also be an older SR405 which doesn't have the stacked knob.
    In either case, not a fair trade for you.

8. Thanks guys glad I asked!!

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I had an older MIJ SR800- tremendous bass with the AFR pickups (active pickups with active circuitry). Neck is also graphite reinforced on these older MIJ ones.

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Something weird going on there looking at the pictures again. The B string is not in the bridge all the way, wonder why and a little bit suspicious. Again, I personally wouldn't do the trade, way too lopsided, you'd be getting the worst end of it.

lancimouspitt likes this.
  11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Gio or GSR body with an SR neck?

As noted above, the MIJ SR 805 or SR885 is much better, and about the street value of your MIM.

12. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I own a fretless 305 that has a stacked bass/treble, sweeper, pickup selector and master volume. I'm unfamiliar with this setup.

As for the trade, it's up to what you want in a bass. If you need simplicity, P bass all the way. If you want variety, that Ibanez should do good.

13. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I have an SR405 with 3 controls (volume, volume, tone) and no preamp. It was built in Korea in the Cort factory in 1995.

14. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I'll just agree with everyone else to help you along. That isn't a bad bass but it is worth about half the MIM.

I paid less than $200 for that nearly unplayed Korean SR400 in my avatar pic and I wouldn't trade it for a MIM standard! Of course this particular SR400 is a unique transitional mix, and I wanted a big ass maple PJ more than anything. I'm probably in the minority but that's the beauty of loving certain out of style basses.

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I already answered this for the OP in the Ibanez Club thread. It's a 1996 or '97 305; those years had 3 knobs.

16. CaneyBoniface

CaneyBoniface

Feb 17, 2015
    Malaysia

here's my SR305, i love it. lightweight and thin

17. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The bridge is made for a tapered B string, so the un-tapered B is hanging up. Not the most stable way to go.