1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice on intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ivanfeg, Jan 15, 2017.

1. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hi all, I have the Schecter staleto studio 6 bass. I'm not sure which string is off, if it's the high c, or the g, but passed the 12th fret one of them goes sharp. It sounds really bad playing cords. Not sure what to do.
    Thanks all. The strings are really hard to push down high up on the neck too.

2. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    I am not at all experienced at set up, and if issues such as this pop up, I take my bass to a luthier and make sure it is done right. Many on this board set up their instruments themselves, and that is great, but I like supporting luthiers. Same reason most of my bicycle work is done by shops, I want them to be there in case something really wonky happens. But, I completely understand the opposite.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It sounds like you have a number of issues. To start, it sounds like you strings are too high. But you have to check the intonation on each string individually. Either check youtube for instructions, or you to a luthier.

Even if you take your instrument for major work, everybody should know how to do basic work:
    1. Some instruments need their truss rod adjusted several times a year.
    2. It's good to know, in case there is an emergency at a gig.
    3. You may not do your own tuneups or change the oil on your car, but I assume you check your own tire pressure. Rather than pay the puttied for simple work, save the money for major work, or have him/her build you a new instrument (which would be more interesting for them as well).

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Chords on a bass? Get the lightest gauge strings you can play. Lower your action, assuming you have the correct relief.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I like chords with heavy strings. So there. :p ;)

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    and sounds like a trip to the setup sticky thread is in order.

JLS likes this.
  7. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    There are thousands of YouTube videos that will teach you how to set your intonation. Even if you do not do your own setup work (which, you should), you should at minimum know how to set your intonation, because you should do it every time you change the strings. However, a gotcha here is that if you change to another gauge string you also need to adjust your truss rod.

Anyway, standard steps (in order) for setting up your bass are as such:
    1. Set your relief (truss rod)
    2. Set your string height (raising/lowering the saddles at the bridge)
    3. Set your string height at the nut (unnecessary if your nut is fine)
    4. Set your intonation (setting string length at the bridge)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  8. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hi all, thanks for all the replys. I am totally blind, do you knwo if setup is possible without vision? Or am I better off taking it some place? Only reason I ask is it can get expensive taking it to a shop. Any suggestions?
    Thanks so much for all the help.

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I'd say no, but you're managing here, so I really have no idea what's out there to help you.

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Actually, yes.

If you have good ears and a good sense of feel, can tune a bass and turn a screw, you can do your own setup work just fine without vision.

When I do mine the only thing I use my eyes for is reading my tuner. If you have reference pitches or some other non-visual tuning aid you're all set.

Don't try to measure anything. Just make it feel and sound right.
    Follow the order of instructions in the setup sticky thread.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  11. What lz4005 said. You'll have to do everything by feel instead of measurement unless you have someone to give you a hand. I'm very interested. If you dive into this yourself keep us posted.

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'll add medium strings to that. :D