Need advice on MM-type Pups and/or Preamp for non-MM bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Offbase, May 16, 2002.

1. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I picked up one of the new Ibanez "Soundgear" (in name only, trust me) basses with dual Alnico MM-style humbuckers & a 2 band eq. The pickups sound fine, I think, but the pre seems a bit loud, and kind of metallic in the treble. I'm considering maybe replacing the pups with Duncan MM style pups and having a preamp by-pass installed to play it in passive mode; or, having a different preamp installed & leaving the pups (which seem fine) alone; or, replacing both the pups and preamp. This unit has 4-in-line controls: volume, pan, bass & treble (I'd prefer a midrange over the treble, which I never use). Any opinions? I've got very little practical experience both with these types of pickups and with 2-band eq's designed for them, so I'm hoping some here may have dealt with this before & could help me out. Thanks!
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    just checked out that bass on the website... it says they're supposed to be loud... maybe there's a gain pot somewhere inside the preamp... have you looked under the hood yet?

Unless you have the 700 series, your pickups aren't alnico, they're ceramic, which is known for being a little more biting, possibly what you call "metallic"

Changing preamps or pickups might work, but may i suggest experimenting with strings first. that's a much easier way to find the sound you want, IMO.