1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice on MM-type Pups and/or Preamp for non-MM bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Offbase, May 16, 2002.

1. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I picked up one of the new Ibanez "Soundgear" (in name only, trust me) basses with dual Alnico MM-style humbuckers & a 2 band eq. The pickups sound fine, I think, but the pre seems a bit loud, and kind of metallic in the treble. I'm considering maybe replacing the pups with Duncan MM style pups and having a preamp by-pass installed to play it in passive mode; or, having a different preamp installed & leaving the pups (which seem fine) alone; or, replacing both the pups and preamp. This unit has 4-in-line controls: volume, pan, bass & treble (I'd prefer a midrange over the treble, which I never use). Any opinions? I've got very little practical experience both with these types of pickups and with 2-band eq's designed for them, so I'm hoping some here may have dealt with this before & could help me out. Thanks!

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    just checked out that bass on the website... it says they're supposed to be loud... maybe there's a gain pot somewhere inside the preamp... have you looked under the hood yet?

Unless you have the 700 series, your pickups aren't alnico, they're ceramic, which is known for being a little more biting, possibly what you call "metallic"

Changing preamps or pickups might work, but may i suggest experimenting with strings first. that's a much easier way to find the sound you want, IMO.