1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice on my speaker cab situation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ejaggers, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I bought a peavey 400 series 2x15 in the 80’s. I recently replaced the head with a Max 700. The 1501 black widows that came with it, were poor BW’s in the first place according to a post by billfitzmaurice. So my choices are:
    • Replace the current 15’s with better BW’s or Eminence’s
    • JBL Prof Series from craigslist (maybe not a good option because of the price)
    • Sell the 2x15 and get a different cab

What would you do? Any Max 700 owners out there? What are you using? I play R&B, classic rock, and blues.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sell it and get a new cab. You won't know how any other speakers will work in that cab, which was designed for those speakers.

3. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    RickenBoogie, any suggestion on what knid of cab?

4. how does it sound? If it doesnt sound bad just play it until they blow and replace with higher wattage BWs.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Personal preference. I like the older mesa deisel 215's, and they can be had cheap, or for lighter and smaller, (and more money), Genz Benz Uber 212 is another favorite.

6. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Calaverasgrande, It sounds a lot better with the Max 700 than it did with the 400, but I'm not gigging right now, and haven't tested it live. But you're right, keeping it as is, is also an option, but if I see a good deal, I want to jump on it.
    I'm just trying to find out what's a good match with the Max 700 just in case.

RickenBoogie, Thanks for the deisel tip, I'l keep my eye out.

7. My point being, dont dump that cab just because BFM says its got crummy drivers. While that may be true, it doesnt mean it cant sound good.
    One of the best bass cabs I ever had was a 2x15 with EV force series drivers. That was EV's budget line back then.
    I also seem to recall when Eminence was a dirty word. Nobody I knew would be caught dead without an EV, JBL or maybe Gauss in their cabs. Eminence? Greasy kids stuff.
    These days Eminence is out front and well respected.