Need advice on new preamp for Heartfield DR5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    First of all, I wasn't sure where this should go, so I'm hoping the mods will move it accordingly if I've posted it in the wrong forum. Here's my deal:

I have a DR Heartfield DR5 that I like a lot interms of playability, construction, looks, etc., etc. However, I DETEST the onboard preamp in this thing. I have tried and tried, but I cannot dial in the tone I like (mainly due to the mid-sweep switch). So I'm planning on having my luthier install a new preamp while keeping the same pickups.

The bass itself features 2 jazz-style pickups, so I'm looking for a preamp which features volume, high, mid and low adjustments as well as pickup switching capabilities. Here is a pic of one for reference, though this is not mine:

I like Seymour Duncan and EMG, mainly because most of my experience lies with those as well as with Bartolini. I'm mainly interested being able to dial in a solid slap tone as well as a decent vintage tone - in other words, I seek versatility.

For this bass and its current pickup configuration, what would you guys suggest? The reason I'm asking is due to the fact that i would like to see if I can get a good deal on a pre instead of having to wait for one to be ordered through my luthier.

Thanks in advance and always, apologies if this is extraneous.