Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on new preamp for Heartfield DR5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    First of all, I wasn't sure where this should go, so I'm hoping the mods will move it accordingly if I've posted it in the wrong forum. Here's my deal:

I have a DR Heartfield DR5 that I like a lot interms of playability, construction, looks, etc., etc. However, I DETEST the onboard preamp in this thing. I have tried and tried, but I cannot dial in the tone I like (mainly due to the mid-sweep switch). So I'm planning on having my luthier install a new preamp while keeping the same pickups.

The bass itself features 2 jazz-style pickups, so I'm looking for a preamp which features volume, high, mid and low adjustments as well as pickup switching capabilities. Here is a pic of one for reference, though this is not mine:

[​IMG]

I like Seymour Duncan and EMG, mainly because most of my experience lies with those as well as with Bartolini. I'm mainly interested being able to dial in a solid slap tone as well as a decent vintage tone - in other words, I seek versatility.

For this bass and its current pickup configuration, what would you guys suggest? The reason I'm asking is due to the fact that i would like to see if I can get a good deal on a pre instead of having to wait for one to be ordered through my luthier.

Thanks in advance and always, apologies if this is extraneous.

2. SR499

SR499

Mar 14, 2016
    Love my heartfield but i had to put new barrel jack. I know it has emg pickups. What kind preamp. Everything works fine,what a great sound. I'm not changeing anything