Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on odd SWR setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Oct 10, 2002.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Trying to make the most of the equipment I've got at the moment, which consists of the following:

SWR Super Redhead
    SWR Basic Black combo amp
    SWR Basic 2-way cab. (115t)

I had hoped that the Redhead with the 115t cab would be enough for me, but I find myself wanting a bit more oomph still (2 loud guitars, drums, percussion, sax to compete with). Thinking I might try to incorporate the Basic Black into the setup. I'm trying to figure out the best way to send signal from the Redhead to the Basic Black.

The solution that first occurs to me is to go from the unbalanced line out of the RH to the instrument input of the BB (not sure whether to use active or passive input). That would suggest setting the output on the RH from 'line' to 'direct' - which would force me to send a dry signal to the soundman/PA on the balanced output, and beg the question of whether it's okay to plug into both the balanced/unbalanced jacks simultaneously.

Other possibilities:

-Same as above but use a 'line' signal and set the BB tone controls to flat or tweak slightly as needed.

-Same as above but input into the effects return of the BB.

-Use the tuner or effects send from the RH.

Any ideas, folks? I know an equipment upgrade is the best answer, but this is what I've got to work with for now... Thanks in advance for help here...

2. I've successfully used the Basic Black tuner out to feed my other SWR amp. I'm sure it'll work with the Redhead tuner out to the Basic Black too.

BTW: I've use the Basic Black + Basic 2-Way with a Golitah Jr.

Powering the 2x10 & 1x15 with a 500 watt SWR SM 400-S and the BB... and that wasn't even as loud as the one Henry 8x8 I use now. The 2x10 + 15 sounds great, but alias, isn't that loud at all IMHO.

Running my 8 ohm Goliath Jr. at 400 watts isn't loud at all. Sounds nice. So I use it only for small gigs and rehearsals.

[​IMG]

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    After a bit of experimentation, I've settled on using the unbalanced line out (set to line, to preserve my EQ in sending a balanced signal to the soundboard) to feed into the Basic Black amp. I've cut the tweet way down on the Basic 2way and cut lots of mids and highs from the Basic Black - these two cabs can't make mids and highs that sound near as good as the Redhead's internal speakers, so they get to contribute nice 15" thump - which they do pretty well. With the Basic Black used basically to add just some low end, the rig sounds simply fantastic - well balanced with crisp highs and an ample but tight bottom.

First real gig with this setup tomorrow. I can hardly wait! :)

Thanks for the tips, Donne... Your Basic Black setup looks just like mine - lost a Trace Elliot rig when an equipment van went up in flames - had to get something cheap, quick - turns out the Basic Black setup sounded better than the Trace ever did, if not as loud - and now I've got the Redhead and I'm back to full thump mode now!!! :D

4. sell all of your stuff and get an SWR Henry the 8x8 with a Son of Bertha 1x15 cab, all powered by an SWR 750x head. youll be happy!!!!

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not terribly far of from the rig I want to eventually wind up with - SM900 + Goliath + SOBertha ;)