Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on Peavey DataBass!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andruca, Apr 12, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi everybody!

I'm being offered a real cheap Peavey Databass combo. It has something fried in it but I can make it repair for very little or even repair it myself. I have a Peavey TKO (with some upgrades such as a switchable tweeter, an extension cab jack, metal grill and casters) and absolutely love it, and use it a lot for small gigs. I plan to repair and do the same upgrades to the DataBass and from then on I hopefully never have to move my stack anymore as the DataBass has more than enough power. So I ask anybody who knows this combo to tell me their experiences, weaknesses and strengths. Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Bump!

3. I've played through a friend's a couple of times. It is loud. My feeling on the tone was not that great. But that was with a Yamaha RBX. I'm sure you'll get better sounding music with a decent bass.

If i'm not mistaken, the reason they call it Databass is that it has a digital power section in it. Can someone help us out here?

4. I've got one, it's a great combo. Lots of power, 450 watts into a single speaker. The speaker is probably the "weak link", though it is a Black Widow (450 watts is a lot of power into a single speaker). You can't run an extension cab because the internal speaker is 4 ohms. The power amp is only rated into a 4 ohm load, do not go lower!!

If the internal speaker is fried, I'd consider putting an 8 ohm speaker in (realizing that there would be a diminished power output with only the 8 ohm load) but that would allow an external 8 ohm cab in parallel. The only other way you could use an external cab (well, aside from an impedance transformer) would be to put a switching jack in, so when you plugged an external cab in, it would unplug the internal 4 ohm speaker. In that case the external cab could be 4 ohm.

I added a handle on each left and right side. Unless the front grill cloth was ripped, I wouldn't bother with a metal grill, but that's a personal decision.

I don't know if casters are all that usefull on this small amp--though it's heavy, it's small. But then, I generally use a hand truck for loading and unloading.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a tweeter. The cab is small, actually far too small for that speaker, so there's plenty of mids.

5. I *think* it's got a switch-mode power supply (SMPS) but I've never had a reason to tear into it and look, and likewise I haven't needed to get the schematic.

I think they call it "digital" is that at some point, they have a digital device somewhere in or affecting the signal path. The owner's manual is kinda sketchy on the details, IIRC.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks everybody! The reason for the tweeter (even a cheap piezo one -I used a Motorola Superhorn in my TKO-) is that since my first stack I can't stand my sound without some upper brightness in the 10-14KHz range (not mid or high-mid, which in fact I like a bit scooped). And the BW's specs say it responds OK only up to 2KHz. I thought the internal speaker was 8ohms. If it ever breaks I'll replace it with an 8ohm BW (or Eminence, what the heck!) and add the extension speaker out. Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I played through a Databass amp a few times at a rehearsal. It was loud but very midrangey sounding. Couldn't get much real bottom out of it. Pretty clean at fairly high volume though. lacks top end though i myself don't need it. Slappers wouldn't like it.

It was very heavy and hard to carry with that one silly handle on top. The port is on the bottom of the cabinet and supposed to load the speaker better that way. I don't know if that makes much of a difference.

The BW speaker is indeed 4 ohms and can't be used with an extension. According to the Peavey sales hype when it came out, the internal electronics where specifically designed for this BW speaker so I don't know if I'd put an Eminence in.

I did consider getting a used one and replacing the 4 ohm BW with an 8 ohm BW so I could use an 8 ohm extension but the cost and weight changed my mind.

However, if you can get one cheap enough and repairs are minor it could be a useful amp.

I never did see anyone use them live around here. They just never did catch on. Probably just a little ahead of it's time and too heavy.

8. Gr0undZer0

Gr0undZer0

Jul 11, 2006
    I have two and they are great!!It is a digital amp because there is a computer that controls the low-end at what volume you are playing at. It's like a cpu controlled Loudness switch.I have an external speaker jack on mine for over 10 years and I drive the original BW 4-ohm and an 18" BW 4 ohm and have no problems at all. Just make sure your speaker cord is very good and you hook the speakers up before turning it on.

9. sub b

sub b

Sep 14, 2008
    i have one and it used to cut out intermittally. it was the speaker. put an eminence 4 ohm kappa in no more problems. my tech had to solder a bunch of solder joints that he said vibrate loose. other than the solder issue and speaker its been a great amp.

10. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Hello i have a data bass amp and i would suggest what i did i pulled it out of the heavey combo cabinet put a couple speakon connector's on the back plenty of room,remove that noisey 2"fan i had a couple 3" fan's so i put one facing down in place of the stock 2"fan and of corse i made the hole a little larger there's plenty of room and i put another 3" fan on the back blowing in were the vent's are rite at the heat sink's i used a switch that turn's the fan off ,stock fan on click agian both fan's on for those 100 degree gig's great light amp throw a couple rack ear's on her put it in a rack and presto i don't use the pre-amp section i go thru a tech 21 compator into a bass driver my basses have 18 volt emg pre-amp so there is more than enough headroom i just love this amp i have used it with a eden xlt 8 ohm 4-10 and i also use it with the original black widow in a fender combo cab the widow basket was replaced with an 8 ohm low rider basket it will work with the same stock magnet so i can use both cab's if need be sound's great i have tried alot of amp's but alway's seem to end up back to peavey.