Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on playing with people

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Sep 25, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    How do you guys find people to play with. The garage band i was in pretty much broke up and now i don't have anyone to play with and i don't know how to find anyone. Does anyone have advice on finding new people to play with?

2. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    What's worked for me has been local musician internet classifieds. Very easy way to hook up with people. You can also try the bulletin board at your local music store.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Music store ads have been good sources for me.

I would suggest practicing and improving your playing as much as you can by yourself so that if an opportunity comes around at least you'll have the necessary skills.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +1 on the music store ads.

Also, ads in local papers have also worked for me. I have both found musicians and found work by checking the ads in the papers here.

5. Tingly

Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    Try musician want ads on the Internet, like the Mode.com and Harmony Central.

But be forewarned. IMHO, 90% of the people you are going to communicate with will be absolute and total HEAD CASES!!

You have to put in the work to separate the wheat from the chaff, or however that saying goes.

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I typed up a flier and put them in local record and music stores. I recived quite a few calls and did two try-outs before joining one of the bands. Just type it up on and add the tear off tabs with a phone numbers at the bottom. I agree you will get a few odd balls but what the heck you might find some cool cats to play with like me.