Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice on plucking with my ring finger

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I tried to search for this subject here in this forum, and I got 214 responses. Since I´m too damn lazy to go through all them, I´ll ask here :) (hope you forgive me)

I´m selftaught and I´ve been playing bass for 8yrs. Mostly fingerstyle but I´m quite fluent with the pick as well. For the past couple of years I´ve been trying to use my ring finger in plucking, but with little success. I need to learn proper techniques in order to develop strength and coordination in plucking with my index, middle and ring finger. Has anyone got any good advice/technique for me to practise at?

All help is greatly appreciated!

W/best regards,
    Ivar

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Anyone?

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I don't pick with my ring finger (I use two) but my suggestion would be to slow it waaaaay down and work in your ring finger carefully. I wouldn't do strict alternation (1-2-3-1-2-3 or 1-2-3-2-1), but try to find the places where the 3rd finger can add to the line.

sorry I couldn't help more.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thx!

I wonder if 1-2-1-3-1-2-1-3 could also help?

I read somewhere that a good way to develop your ring finger is to tape it to the middle finger and practise that way. Wonder if that´s any good? :D

Thanks again for the tip!

5. do you need it for speed on one string? because when i'm playing fast lines, they're usually straight 16th notes and i find that plucking with an uneven number of fingers messes up my timing, like playing 3/4 over 4/4, if you know what i mean. i use my ring finger for reaching up and hitting the D or G string, depending on where my hand is at the moment. so when i'm jumping strings a lot, the ring finger is very useful.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    A little bit of both I guess...

I guess it´s all up to a lot of practise!! Looks like there´s no shortcut to greatness :D

Thanks for all the replies guys!