Need advice on Power Amps !!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FumandoV, Dec 6, 2004.

1. FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I'm turning towards buying a Crown and run it to my fx processor with built in pre amp. Get that meaty sound. Do you guys prefer a power amp over the regular amp. If so, why? Are there any advantages? Disadvantages?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the big advantage to a poweramp is that you can get a lot more watts than most heads will provide, and you can switch preamps. The downside is usually additional cost, size and weight. FWIW, i would seriously consider getting a preamp to use with it. The one in your effects processer may be ok, but you'd probably be happier with one of the many preamps available today.
  3. What effects processor is it? IvanMike is right, if it's not super easy to just dial in Bass, Mid, Treble and volume, you should probably look into a dedicated pre and run your processor in the loop.

That said, if you like the tone of your processor and you consider it 'your sound', then a power amp might be a great option. HOWEVER, make sure your FX processor has enough gain to drive a power amp to its full output wattage...most don't.
  4. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    re: weight

QSC's "PLX" line