need advice on power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mecha hooch, Apr 8, 2002.

1. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    jacksonville,fl
    i just got an ampeg 2x15 cab ...and was looking into buying a power amp...i did a search on the subject and found two power amps that caught my attention ...the qsc rmx 1450 and the crown ce1000...btw impedence on the cab is 4 ohm ....plan on added a 2x10 later...and i'm going to purchase the sansamp rbi preamp when i buy a power amp...any more suggestions...any experience with these power amps:rolleyes: or maybe the carvin dcm1000

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I just converted from a stand-alone head to a power amp. I bought the QSC RMX2450. I couldn't be happier. I got the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp. It was the best buy out there and totally does the job. I get 500 stereo watts per channel through 2 8 ohm cabinets. I intended to get a 4ohm cab as my second, but got a good deal on a BagEnd D10B-D. I put it on top of my BagEnd S15B-D. The unit has the potential for bridged mono 1500 watts 8ohms and 2400 watts 4ohms. Musician's Friend has them for $599.

Don't limit your search. Carvin was also in the running. A great value for 1000 watts. Look also at Mackie. Also Aguillar if you have the coin.

The reason I didn't get the Crest V1100 is because of the protection circuitry. It kept cutting out whenever I hit the low B at any volume. It took like 5 seconds to get powered back up.

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i say the DCM1000. best amp for the money, according to most people around here. im running an ampeg V4b(2x15) with a 210 right now, and im planning on buying a DCM1000 to use with my hartke as soon as i have the money

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I really like the QSC RMX 1850HD. Lots of watts, designed to drive 2 ohm loads in stereo or 4 ohm bridged, cheap! Lots of oomph for not a lot of money. I drive a pair of 4 ohm Acme Low B-2s with mine.

5. There was something wrong with that Crest or your wiring then, because I use a V1100 and the only thing that makes mine shut down is short across the speakers terminals.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    It could have been poor sales support. I didn't set it up. At the price they are asking, I can only assume they'd have it correct.

Whatever the issue, Crest lost out to a power amp about $300 less with more watts.