need advice on power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mecha hooch, Apr 8, 2002.

1. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    i just got an ampeg 2x15 cab ...and was looking into buying a power amp...i did a search on the subject and found two power amps that caught my attention ...the qsc rmx 1450 and the crown ce1000...btw impedence on the cab is 4 ohm ....plan on added a 2x10 later...and i'm going to purchase the sansamp rbi preamp when i buy a power amp...any more suggestions...any experience with these power amps:rolleyes: or maybe the carvin dcm1000
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I just converted from a stand-alone head to a power amp. I bought the QSC RMX2450. I couldn't be happier. I got the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp. It was the best buy out there and totally does the job. I get 500 stereo watts per channel through 2 8 ohm cabinets. I intended to get a 4ohm cab as my second, but got a good deal on a BagEnd D10B-D. I put it on top of my BagEnd S15B-D. The unit has the potential for bridged mono 1500 watts 8ohms and 2400 watts 4ohms. Musician's Friend has them for $599.

Don't limit your search. Carvin was also in the running. A great value for 1000 watts. Look also at Mackie. Also Aguillar if you have the coin.

The reason I didn't get the Crest V1100 is because of the protection circuitry. It kept cutting out whenever I hit the low B at any volume. It took like 5 seconds to get powered back up.
  3. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i say the DCM1000. best amp for the money, according to most people around here. im running an ampeg V4b(2x15) with a 210 right now, and im planning on buying a DCM1000 to use with my hartke as soon as i have the money
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I really like the QSC RMX 1850HD. Lots of watts, designed to drive 2 ohm loads in stereo or 4 ohm bridged, cheap! Lots of oomph for not a lot of money. I drive a pair of 4 ohm Acme Low B-2s with mine.
  5. There was something wrong with that Crest or your wiring then, because I use a V1100 and the only thing that makes mine shut down is short across the speakers terminals.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    It could have been poor sales support. I didn't set it up. At the price they are asking, I can only assume they'd have it correct.

Whatever the issue, Crest lost out to a power amp about $300 less with more watts.