1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Advice on refurb'ing my SVT 810/V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Losmoran, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Can you fellows help me get a positive year of manufacture for this amp. I bought it used in 1975.
    The head is serial # 25113 and the cab: 24886.
    The vinyl and grill cloth are worn and I would like to dedicate some time to refurbishing it. It also has a bit of a microphonic charateristic (with the volume @ 12 o'clock) if you tap the head you hear the knock through the cabinet and it's also a little noisier than I remember.
    Any assistance you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Some pics attached:help:
    IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Positive year is impossible without pot codes and speaker codes (provided they're original), but it was made between 1971-74.

I'm no expert on amps, but you should take it to someone and see what's wrong with it. It's probably nothing too major. Diagnosing it yourself might end up costing you more money than taking it to a tech.

And www.fliptops.net has a lot of Ampeg tolex and grill cloth at reasonable prices.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Your problem is probably a bad tube but if your not sure have a pro look at it.

Where do you live?

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yikes! I can't believe it. This is exactly the rig I used for a short while in 1975.

But anyway, yeah, I agree with the advice on the tube. If you want, you can very carefully tap each tube with a paper clip and see which one it is. One or more of them has gone "microphonic." I recall that amp having one really oddball tube, something like 3 triodes stuffed into a short, stubby glass case with a ton of pins. No idea where you'd get one of those these days. With luck, that won't be the one that's gone microphonic.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    > I recall that amp having one really oddball tube, something like
    > 3 triodes stuffed into a short, stubby glass case with a ton of pins.

Wait. On second thought, maybe that was in an old Gibson Ranger (Super Reverb clone) I had briefly in the late '60s. I just can't remember.

Geh... so many amps, so many time, so little brain.

6. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    JimmyM - Txs I'll check the pot and speaker codes (i need a tip on what to look for) They must be original. I'm the second owner the first one hardly used it.

Red Planet - Txs... I live in Miami.

Craig.P - txs u2. Yikes! i hope that's not the tube. From your description it sounds like it would be difficult to find....
    ... and to the second message.... I also suffer from CRS (can't remember s _ _ _)

7. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    By the way, any of you undertaken recovering a cabinet? I could use some tips. Especially because the cabinet has 6 triangiular pieces of wood that are used to place the grill fasteners and offset the grill baffle forward of the speakers. It looks like they are attached to the cabinet with a couple of long staples... anyone know?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There's a number on the pots and speakers that more than likely starts with 137, though there's an outside chance it could be something else. 137 is the manufacturer code for CTS. Then the next two numbers tell the year, and the next two tell what week of the year it was made...

So if you have a number like 137 7237, that means CTS made it in 1972 during the 37th week.

9. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Thank you!
    Who is that little character? looks like Jammes Brown with a Devo style hat!
    Yeah!

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If it was in the V4 I think you mean the 6K11, this little guy here:

If memory serves, I think I recall hearing it has something to do with the reverb circuit, but I'm far from positive on that.

11. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey

That tube essentially implements the midrange-EQ (300 - 1000 - 3000 Hz). That tube isn't that hard to find. Here are a couple of sources:

http://store.tubedepot.com/nos-6k11.html

http://thetubestore.com/nos-6k11.html

12. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Gerryjazzman, I'm going to take some time this weekend to check out a few suggestions made regarding the amp... Mine does not have reverb it's a V4B...

13. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    I am still looking for someone who repairs Ampegs and is familiar with the V4B...

Any suggestions? I live in Miami.

Thanks

14. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey

Just an FYI, same tube (6K11) same function (mid EQ) in the V4 / VT22 and V4B. I've owned both. Good luck with it.

15. Losmoran

Losmoran

Sep 27, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Thank you! I am looking forward to a labor of love.