1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need advice on the right Cab!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dawkinzz, May 11, 2006.

1. im soooo confused!:crying:

hello people, im looking for a bit of help please....

i play in a metal/hardcore band with a 5 string bass tuned AEADG

i want a cab that wont muffle up my low notes so people ca ntell that i am playing different notes as i like my low end as well as wanting people to know what im playing...

any suggestions? ideas?
    am i mad?

2. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    I would suggest multi cabs, I have run a 210 & 115 and that seems to cover the low B great as well as getting definition in the higher notes from the 2x10's. I too like a low end sound. I blew my 1x15 however, and I am running a 4x10 now and the low B does not sound even close to as good, I have never tried one, but an SWR Big Ben 18 with another cab for high end might be the way for you too go. Just a though.

3. I like how my 15" box handles the low A when it's being held, but playing eighth notes open on it is a mudslide.
    I took a Schecter at GC and tuned it ADADG, and I found that the nicer, front ported 4x10s sounded great for the low A. I'm going to get into a 4x10 asap, and run it with my 2x10 for now. I might grab a 2x12 in the future if I find the need for it.
    C7

4. 15" will give you some lovely killer low, but not so much definition, whearas 10" or 8" speakers will give you plenty of definition and limited lows, so say a 15" with a 10" would give you clarity and realy killer lows

5. well what about makes? i play through a carvin R600 head, what make cabs would you all recommend????

Cheers

6. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I recommend Ear Candy cabinets.

7. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Although not a real high $$$ cab I've had good results with my Carvin 1x15 cab ... the 600 watt speaker in it seems to do the job...

I might add that using a BBE Sonic Maximizer ... if you have the rack space a 362 ... or the Stomp Box version ... really help on the low end definition.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The Ampeg SVT 410hlf or the PR 410hlf. Both of them go freakishly low (lower than most 15's), have great punch and are very articulate. 15's in my opinion, don't have the articulation in the mids and upper mids like 10's do. You need some midrange to go along with the booming lows and to make your notes more easily heard.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Larger speakers will give you more low end extension, but usually at the cost of defiinition and clarity. The easiest way to get around this dilemma, and have both low end extension with clarity and definition, is to get a large number of smaller (10") speakers, powered by an amp that is really up to the task -- with lots of power. You'll still be able to move lots of air (low end), and will also be able to cut through.

10. Padams4

Padams4

Mar 13, 2006
    Just picked up a new Mesa Boogie 4x12 and it cuts way better than my previous rig of a SWR 2x15 and 2x10.

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You can't lose with Avatar Speakers. Maybe consider an 8 Ohm 115 paired with an 8 ohm 112 or 210 for your purposes. You could get both, new, shipped to your door for less than $600. And they sound great.

12. i was thinking harkte? any people used this?

13. I would recommend you buy carvin speakers to go with your carvin amp. They're going to be voiced for that head. I wouldn't use Hartke in a detuned metal band (I wouldn't use Hartke at all, but that's a whole different thread), because they're very trebley sounding and you're going to have a hard time getting those deep notes to sound very full. Just my opinion though.

14. The Avatar 2X12 has great bottom end. The Delta cab handles 1,000 watts.

15. :ninja:
    problem is, im in the uk, and the 1 uk dealer charges obscene amounts

whats wrong with them?
    a link to the thread if one has been made please

16. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    I play in a detuned (just D) metal band, and my problem with a Hartke VX1508 Cab was this:

A cabinet with one 15" and two 8" + a tweeter couldn't handle the 175w coming out from my ProFet 3.2 without farting if I boosted the bass even a little. Actually I had to cut down bass, boost the mids and try to find a suitable noise/clarity balance with the treble. And it still farted like hell.

I had a better experience with a VX410, but still the low end wasn't just on the level I would like it to be.

In comparison, my new Warwick (with 4x10") cab can do the full 175w with full bass + a bass boost switch on. And no farting, not even a bit. I'll probably pair it with a 2x10 Warwick cab to get the full wattage out of my amp head, but that's still under consideration (and saving).

...so I wouldn't recommend smaller Hartke cabs, at least not the VX's, to any one looking for "low end". The 8x10 could do the job, but as I have no experience with them I really can't say. :meh: