1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Advice On Tone Switch For Fender Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 60bass, Apr 28, 2009.

1. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been thinking about adding a tone switch in one of my P basses to switch between the vintage cap of .1 and the new style cap .05. Sometimes I like the darker sound of the vintage P's.

Anyone ever do this? If how did it sound and how did you wire it up?

TIA

Keep Low :bassist:

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Check post #4: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540014

I also just wired a bass with a push/pull pot (all pots bypassed) to switch between .069uF (.047 + .022) and .116uF (.047 + .047 + .022). On that the hot lead/s go into the center lug of the switch, all caps have one lead soldered to the switch and the other leads twisted/soldered together with the neg jack lead and the bridge ground. All that bass uses is a 3-way toggle for pickups selection, the switch on the p/p pot, and the jack. Sounds fine.

I'm into cap switches on basses with no pots. I usually spend a lot of time with test leads hanging out of the bass so I can test different value caps to see what I like with which pickups before soldering.

I've recently discovered the 6-way isn't really necessary because you can EQ the amp instead, but it saves doing that. Also, the brighter ones will sound a little louder.

3. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    GlenW

Interesting, I might try that with a Jazz bass I have here.

I'm wanting to add the switch to a P bass, passive, with P + J PU's in it.

I still want a vol for each PU, or a master vol with PU selector switch, and would like a tone pot too. I'm thinking I can use a push/pull pot for the tone and have the caps on it. What do you think? That way the bass still uses the stock PG and I don't have to drill or add anything.

My other idea was to go ahead and put in a mini switch to run two or three different cap values.

TIA

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The p/p pot with the caps will work fine in conjunction with the pot. You might need to route or drill to make room for it.

The mini switch will work as well. On one of mine I'm going to use an LP style 3-way on/on/on toggle. That'll give three different values since caps in parallel add up.

5. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    The cavity is real small where the tone pot is and the jack is side mounted right under it. I don't think I have the room for a P/P pot due to the depth of the pot. It would be hitting the input jack.

I'm going to that way and just toss in a SPDT mini switch in there with the caps. I'm going to experiment with the values first and see what I like.

Thanks