1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice on un -modding a 1978 P Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by amerbs38, Jul 25, 2012.

1. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I picked this up online from GC and it turned out to be in amazing condition. One big ding on the front and one on the back but otherwise (almost) near mint. The trouble is somebody dug out a channel just above the bridge and put in an extra pickup and a toggle switch. It`s definitely a players bass now but it`s like a beautiful woman with a mustache and I`m wondering if there`s any way to get rid of it that would end up looking better than it does now. Thanks for any ideas.

2. hey neighbor! Can you post pictures? I know JohnK_10 has posted on ways to fill those sorts of routings. If it's a paint finish it shouldn't be too difficult.

3. amerbs38

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Here`s a photo

Attached Files:

4. I'd assume it was routed with a J pup at the bridge? If so i don't think there is much you can do about it. Pick guards won't cover that area and Unless you get it filled in and refinished with a non transperant finish then you'll always be able to see. What you could do is put a piece of something that would fit the hole but not stick out of the body as much as pup would. It'd still look about the same, but nothing would be sticking out if that helps you out. I think some pictures and description of the finish and situation at hand would help. Maybe someone has a better idea then me.

If it were I would just play the hell out of it. I've never used a PJ before, but if you don't like the J tone just use only the P and be enjoy your new bass.

5. amerbs38

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    It`s a natural finish which might be the problem

6. Sorry I didn't get my post out before the pic was posted. With that bass I would change the pup cover on the J to the white like the P. It'd probably be alot classier looking that way

7. nice looking bass, I have a 75 fretless P w/a maple neck as well. Is that an ash body? If so, you could try to match as closely as possible to the grain w/another piece of ash and fit it in there. Fit it as tight as close as you can to minimize the fill you'll have to do. Then you'd have to match the finish as closely as possible. Might be worth having a pro do that. I can recommend Mark Brown in Campbell.

8. this is a good suggestion as well and a lot cheaper and easier, just roll with it as a PJ and just don't use the back p/up.

9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
  10. amerbs38

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thanks, that sounds like a good solution.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    For what it's worth, the white pickup isn't original, nor is the pickguard and obviously the jazz pup/electronics. At that point, given how much other stuff has been changed, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping things original.

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    As far as the pickup covers, I think it would look better if you put a black cover on the P pickup.

Is the top left corner of the jazz rout really that bad, or is that trick lighting.

13. amerbs38

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yes, it`s a pretty rough cut... Thanks coreyfyfe for the info. The rest of this thing is in such good shape I assumed it was more original (this is my first vintage Fender). Is there a good place to research the originality of Fender (or any other) basses?