1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice on what to do.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by firmlybassed, Oct 4, 2009.

1. firmlybassed

firmlybassed

Mar 6, 2008
    Hickory NC
    I have a G&L Tribute L-2000 that I paid 499 new 2 years ago. ZZounds was having a blowout on them.

Recently at a rehersal we had a very bad Thunder/electical storm. My bass electronics and pickps took a hit and were all fried. I had 2 different Luthiers/Electronic guys test it.
    The preamp, pots, pickups are shot. To replace everything will cost me about $300 - $400. I have 5 other basses that I love to play so I'm not hurting. I basically would have to pay for the bass again to get it working which I don't really want to do.
    I was thinking of selling it on ebay.

I need advice on the following:
    1) Should I sell it as a whole bass??
    OR
    2) Should I sell it for parts separately. Neck Body Bridge Tuners etc..???

Which option will generate more cash???
    Any idea on the value of the bass as is??

I appreciate everyones input and advice. Thanks

2. Well, first of all, I don't believe the pickups are 'shot.' Preamp, sure, OK, but I'd be VERY surprised if the pickups were actually damaged.
    To find out, wire them straight to the jack- see if they work. I'll bet they do.
    If so, you could wire 'em up passive for about ten bucks worth of pots.
    If you don't like that, there are pre's in the TB classifieds all the time, Audere's, East's, etc- any of them would work, you don't have to get the original pre.

To answer your question: you'll get more $ if you part it out.

3. firmlybassed

firmlybassed

Mar 6, 2008
    Hickory NC
    Pickups are shot and were tested. Looked at Audere's etc. Too expensive. Still.
    Any idea what the value is of the neck body separate??

4. Same as other thread. You're not really allowed to ask "what is it worth" without the supporting membership.