1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice on which Bass to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OutcasterX, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:33 PM.

1. OutcasterX

OutcasterX

Friday
    Hi guys. First of all, I've been reading some threads in this forum for the past year and sure it's been helpful, but it's my time to ask.

So, after years of being a guitar player and somewhat of a bass player too when there was the need, I'm finally getting my first electric bass after years of wanting one (And I'm leaning towards P-Bass, since it's what I'm use to play and listen to). I'm currently studying so I can't afford much. But earlier I made my mind on a Squier Affinity PJ-Bass (and perhaps upgrade it, or go for something better in the future), since I'll be mostly recording and practicing, and I wanted to hear your thoughts on that particular model if you guys had any experiences with the current line.

My other option is a used Squier Mike Dirnt P-Bass with Seymour Duncan's Quarter Punt pickups and what it seems to be a Badass Bridge, sadly it's a little out of my price range, but I could get it still.

I really hope I could go for a used Fender MiM, but I've been looking for months and I just cannot find one (since where I live, gear it's pretty much hard to come by at either a good price... Or if you have someone to bring stuff from the USA), and websites like Reverb.com are out of the picture too for the same reason of country policies.

Any advice on this? Sorry for the long post.

2. knockerjoe

knockerjoe Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2016
    N.C.
    Not sure where you are but for a little more money you could find
    a VM or CV Squier and not have worry to upgrade an Affinity.
    These are much better basses and not a whole lot more money,
    Especially if you can find second hand.
    Good luck in your search!

Tvrtko, OutcasterX and alanloomis1980 like this.
  3. I tried a new affinity pj bass at the music store the other day. I was very impressed with it. I like the non-gloss necks. Put some good strings and pickups on there, you got yourself a good bass.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What is your budget? I would certainly take a good look in the classified here. You likely will get a decent price on a bass that likely has been cared for, and is set up properly.

OutcasterX likes this.
  5. TerenceE

TerenceE Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Cv pbass. Profit

PlatoFunFactory and OutcasterX like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if you're budget yet quality minded and may have accessibility / acquisition issues then your easy answer may well be ...drum roll... the Silvertone LB11 by Samick for $100 used or $200 new re the well advertised starter pack you likely have seen me suggest in the last 100 'what good bass?' threads. too bad there are mostly crappy videos to get a good reference aurally but the multitude of user reviews support this Fender P bass clone's virtues. the old saw that you get what you pay for doesn't apply any more. the LB11 is but one of many killer inexpensive basses available today, I love mine, the all black style looks the best. for $160 I like the vintage Lotus 750 in my avatar even better, but finding /getting one is a bit tougher. good luck!
    Silvertone LB11 - Google Search

Brookmichael and OutcasterX like this.
  7. If you’re on a budget: learn how to solder. How to file your fret ends. How to finish the neck to your liking. How to do your own setups. Small investment up front for a big return.

mike Dirnt: probably a great bass, and a great set of pickups installed. The extra price may be worth the parts and tools to get an Affinity up to snuff.

affinities: I haven’t yet met an affinity that I couldn’t make gig worthy, but they’ve all needed some work. The newest PJs (if you’re looking at new ones) are fantastic. Great sound and fret ends. Only complaint is rough neck finishing; nothing a little sandpaper and refinish can’t fix

here’s my main player: started with a $125 USD affinity, and with an extra $275 in parts (including a MIM neck) I’ve built a beast of a bass on the cheap-
    589042E6-FBDE-4503-8F1F-ECE83FD00F39.
    good luck! :)

PS Where are you located? And welcome to talkbass!

OutcasterX likes this.
  8. OutcasterX

OutcasterX

Friday
    Thanks for all the replies!
    A lot of you guys seem to recommend the CV series. I saw one locally for sale at a great price one night a few weeks ago, I went to bed and by next day's afternoon it sold. :(

Anyway... Thanks for the advice on working on the instruments, I actually have been doing it for quite some time. I do my own setups on my guitars (neck straightness/relief, fret ends, polishing, intonation, etc). I do enjoy working on the instruments myself (I used to work part-time for a local luthier back in my high school days).

I'm really between that Mike Dirnt I mentioned and an Affinity PJ... But of course, if I find something in between I might jump on it.

By the way, for those who asked, I'm currently in the northern part of Mexico, pretty much all the local music stores are kind of "mom&pop-ishy", and buying from outside the country can be a pain in the butt due to customs duty.
    I think saying my budget it's a little pointless due to currency exchange and the general economy of the country/state and other variables.

skaine and alanloomis1980 like this.
  9. Are you able to try them out at all? For me neck and overall feel is most important; sound can be altered in many ways.

since you’re comfortable working on the bass yourself, I really don’t think you can go wrong either way :thumbsup:

kinda sad though, you live in Mexico and can’t find a MIM... :(

10. Go for the Classic Vibe Jazz or Precision basses. I don't know how pricing works in your local stores, but I feel the CV basses can be played without upgrading anything. The early ones had nickel plated hardware and the pickups are great. I bought a White CV Jazz bass for around $350 new in the US. Used should be less depending on demand.

I also really like the SUB Music Man copy basses. They are $299 new here but they rock. Just play them with the tone controls at 50%. The preamps in these will overdrive your amp and distort if your run them flat out but at half way they sound great. Look for the used one that some kid hated and pick it up for around 220 or less.

Good Luck with your bass purchase.

11. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    You can go for Squier CV 60s basses, especially the ones that are made in China, they are great basses for their prices. They dont need an upgrade at all, maybe pickups in the future.

Affinity series are more likely hit and miss basses so make sure you try playing a few before buying. Dont buy a brand new bass, especially if its a Fender, try to find a good second hand bass instead.

Dont think of modifications now, the components are not magical things, the wood is the most important thing. I hope you find a nice bass for your budget.

12. heb9_28

heb9_28 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Where are you located? This company is in Europe.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

Look at the Harley Benton line (their house brand). Excellent instruments for the money.

I buy from them and pay to have them shipped to the US and still feel like I'm getting an incredible deal.

Gothic likes this.
  13. Crunchy Growl

Crunchy Growl

Jan 31, 2018
    Fender Aerodyne sounds like a contender.

14. The affinities, being the cheapest in the lineup, are hit and miss. I passed on a metallic red PJ two years ago because I kept telling myself that it couldn’t possibly be as good as it seemed. I went back a couple of days later and it was gone.
    They did get other ones later on, but they didn’t seem as nice as the first one I passed on.
    The Dirnt bass, if you like it, would seem to be the more sure thing and it will have better resale value down the road if that matters to you.

15. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Get a Harley Benton PJ4. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

16. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I had a white P Bass with a Badass bridge

just a squire body. Some how it had a Magic neck

I loved the P bass

I dont like the PJ style personally

Eventually youll have a P Bass and a J Bass laying around and find reaching for one or the other
    when you want that sound.

Same with A Jazz neck. I like Jazz necks and was use to J bass body for years.
    Great Setup is with a J neck and P body.
    Something about the P body and pickups really wakes up with a sweet amp and sealed cabinet.

Ive Learned lessons with buying basses that looked great and hard to say no.
    But im picky about necks, it happens when you finally find a magic one and
    wont settle.