need advice on which one to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by davidyu77, Jul 13, 2002.

1. davidyu77

Jul 11, 2002

i am just starting to learn DB, and about
    to purchase a DB soon.
    i have few choices..and i would like to hear
    your opinion.
    1)Mathis Thoma MT23 - this is a slimline
    model (it is slim, reduces thickness of
    sound chamber) with laminated maple,
    realy ebony, and already setup for US$1200

2)Hybrid Auburn(romanian)
    – (Laminated) Made in Romania Laminated Spruce top, Ebony fingerboard, German tuning machine and ebony tailpiece. for us$1500.

3)Christopher bass, academy 100 series..
    Made with laminated Maple veneers, fully arched
    Ebony fingerboard, brass machines, bridge with adjusters
    Durable amber-brown shaded varnish
    for about $1300.

at this moment, i'm leaning toward the mathias
    thoma one because it is slim and less intimidating
    to me. i also like its brand better than others.
    i don't live close to where they sell these items,
    so i have to judge without seeing them first.

2. Can't say anything about the other 2, but I've heard nothing but incredibly positive things about Christopher basses. There's a HUGE thread about them on this very board.

3. All Hell...I`ll do it

Hello David,
    Above each Forum here the Double Bass side you will find a Topic "Newbie Links". In there you will find a host of Topic that will answer many of your questions. I see you are new here and your Profile states that this is your first Post. As for "What Bass to Buy"... I cant tell you and no one here can. They will infact tell you that a Bass out of the Box will be almost useless because they are not set-up. You said that one of the Basses you are considering is already setup....DONT beleave it...they lied. A true set-up will cost you extra, No way around it. The cost depends on the Bass..Mine cost a couple of hundred not including the new strings...another hundred. Check out the Newbie Links and you will get a better idea of what I am saying. Welcome to TalkBass and there is a wealth of information here at your fingertips. Have a good day.....

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off.....
  4. Hello David,

Welcome to! You've certainly come to the right place for great advice, and lots of help. If you're just starting to learn bass, I wonder if you've found a teacher yet? It's most important to find a good teacher - taking lessons from a good teacher will pay off like you wouldn't believe, especially at the beginning. If you already have a teacher, they should be able to help you choose a starter bass. One important thing is to not buy a bass without hearing it first. Don't go by looks alone - what the bass sounds like is much more important than what it looks like. When you go to choose a bass, take your teacher, or someone who already plays bass to help you. A bass will sound totally different thirty feet away, than it does if you're standing right next to it.

By using the "search" function, you will be able to find the threads on this BBS about choosing a bass, and choosing a teacher.

Again, welcome to - there are many great resources here - but BE WARNED! it is highly addictive! :)

- Wil
  5. davidyu77

Jul 11, 2002
    thank you all for the warm welcome.
    I find this site very useful,
    and yes..i also checked all the newbie links..
    discussing about Christopher..strunals..etc.
    I live in vancouver, canada, and here, we
    have limited have started
    searching Internet..ebay, and found few
    items..most stores are far it's very hard for me to be at store myself and check them..
    i'm really hesitating between an entry-level
    Christopher(100 series..) and Mathis Thoma mt23.
    if u see the picture of m. thoma m23 model,
    it is slim..thin...
    i don't know why..but i'm just attracted to this..
    what are the pros and cons of "slim" design?
    anybody know?
    please let me know..
    if it's not good...i'll buy Christopher..

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well without hearing it we can only guess, but the obvious thing to say is that in a purely acoustic instrument : slim design might equal slim sound? Which is not what you want really.

I mean, orchestral players use bigger basses for a bigger sound, so it seems a pretty reasonable assumption?
  7. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    David, I gotta tell you, I just cringe when I see somebody trying to mail-order a double bass. To me it is analogous to a mail-order wife. Trust me, the intimacy is almost as strong.

Anyway, a double bass purchase, unlike most slabs, is a very, very , very subjective purchase. For instance, virtually any Fender off the line, will sound like the next, but this is not the same for double basses.

So I encourage you to take your time. One of the greatest things about buying a bass, is making that "connection" with the instrument. Find a bass shop somewhere, go there and play about 10 or 15 basses. It gives you a good perspective of all the different nuances that you will be dealing with. (It's also a blast to do.)

If you would be comfortable with a mail-order bride, than you will probably be comfortable with a mail-order bass. Just stay away from the skinny (thin-line) ones.

Good Luck
  8. davidyu77

Jul 11, 2002
    Hi all~

I just bought Strunal 50/4 yesterday.
    I paid $1615 Candian dollars which
    translates to about US $1000.

Because I just bought the bass without
    knowing how to play, I'm contemplating
    about getting a teacher. What are their
    usual hourly lesson charge?

Anyhow, what do you think about my
    purchase? Did i get a good bass at a
    reasonable price??
  9. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    You've got the bass:

Get a teacher, get a teacher, get a teacher, get a teacher, get a teacher, get a teacher, get a teacher, get a teacher, get a teacher,

get a set up, and get a bow.
  10. Red Grange (I challenge all of TalkBass to figure that one out):
    You got one of the standard entry level basses. Plenty of people are happy with their Strunals. It wont disassemble as you play it; neither will it be the bass you play at your audition for the Chicago Symphony. As a beginner, you're right about where you should be. I'm an old purist, and dead set against things like 'slim-line' basses.
    Welcome, good luck, and get a teacher.
  11. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    77 would be his uniform number-not sure if there's more of a connection.
  12. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I not sure that there is much diffrence in any of the plywood basses--frankly I don't see how there could be.

I played a Christopher 100 bass - reminded me of the Kay bass's I learned to play on back in prehistory.

Don't mail order a bass go look at them real time! They all require setup which most likely would have to be redone after shipping.

13. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    There are HUGE differences in plywood basses. Compare an old King or American Standard to a new Chinese or Romanian!
  14. Right on, Jeff. Now, what school, and what was his sobriquet? Straight out, no looking it up.
  15. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I will bow to one who knows, if Arnold Schnitzer says there is a huge difference there is. I just know about the ones I've played. I stand corrected. I wonder what makes the difference? It's got to be more than setup.

16. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Sobriquet? I'm sorry, Don-ya got me on that one. I've hung with more than one wordmeister but I am gonna have to look that one up. Remember my specialty is glue!
  17. 'Sobriquet' is what effete intellectuals say instead of 'nickname', as in "Don Higdon's computer skills are so pathetic that Ed Fuqua bestowed upon him the sobriquet 'Donosaurus'."
    U. of Illinois; the Galloping Ghost, in recognition of his ability to slip away when tackled. You did good for a young whippersnapper.