Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need advice on Yorkville xm 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gsdoublebuck, Mar 17, 2006.

1. gsdoublebuck

gsdoublebuck Guest

Mar 13, 2006
    Hi Guys,
    I'm in the market for a new lightweight combo.First i think i've tried almost every brand in the category i'm looking for.
    swr WM 10
    swr WM12
    swr LA series
    Crate BT 50
    Fender Rumble series,etc. I really wasn't blown away by any of them. The speakers distorted to easily at minimal volume.
    None of my local music stores, carry the Yorkville line.
    Just so you understand, I have my big rig for larger venues if i need it. Right now i'm playing with a small 4 piece country group. Acoustic guitar,Pedal steel, and the drummer just uses a snare and high hat. We play in a couple small restaurants,at (lounge sound levels). I have read a lot of good things about the yorkville xm 50 amps on this forum. I like the warm lows that you get in country music. I play a Warwick corvette $$ that i really love. I also would like to use this amp occasionaly on my Kay upright bass,just to enhance the sound.Most of all i like the weight and portability of this little amp. Hey guys? will this little Yorkville xm 50 do the job for me? I value your opinions ,as i cannot try one out.
    Thanks, Gary

2. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    The XM50 has a very full sound and handles the low B on a 5 string very well. WHile you can use it for small gigs, it may not quite be loud enough for you. While it is a little more expensive, you might consider something from the Eden Nemesis Silver Series. They have a bit more power to them and you can shape the tone a little more.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have the XM50. It is surprisingly big sounding for its size. I love the sound and would use mine in a small room with acoustic guitars, fiddles, etc. without hesitation. It should work well with an upright. I've seen a few jazz upright players use the old Roland 60 for that and the Yorkville easily keeps up with them. There is a direct out for going to a PA if needed.

It plays louder and fills a room better than my old 50 watt 2-12 Bassman in the 60s. (sorry vintage fans)

It's too bad you can't try one. I'm impressed with mine. Surprising for a 30 lb package.

Yorkville also makes a 100 watt 1-15 combo.

I liked the Yorkville better than the Roland Cube 30, the SWR LA series and a bunch of other small amps available locally.

I have a Mesa for bigger gigs and never intended to use my Yorkville outside of my home. I'm surprised that I could within reason.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you do get it, I would love to hear how it works out. I have played in 3 to 7 piece country bands in small settings. My gut feel is that 50W would not be enough, but when we have a drummer he always has a full kit.

5. I played an XM 50 in the local music store. It's all he carries unless you order something else specifically. Anyhow it's the best sounding under 60w amp I have ever heard. My lead singer says it's the closest thing to an ampeg in that level of watts.
    I myself don't know about that but it does sound nice and it has an even if you break it 2 year warrenty.

6. gsdoublebuck

gsdoublebuck Guest

Mar 13, 2006
    I ordered the Yorkville xm50. It should be here in a couple days.I'll keep you posted how it works with the small group i'm playing with.
    Your comments were very helpful. Thanks again guys.

Gary:bassist: