need advice on Yorkville xm 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gsdoublebuck, Mar 17, 2006.

1. gsdoublebuck

gsdoublebuck Guest

Mar 13, 2006
    Hi Guys,
    I'm in the market for a new lightweight combo.First i think i've tried almost every brand in the category i'm looking for.
    swr WM 10
    swr WM12
    swr LA series
    Crate BT 50
    Fender Rumble series,etc. I really wasn't blown away by any of them. The speakers distorted to easily at minimal volume.
    None of my local music stores, carry the Yorkville line.
    Just so you understand, I have my big rig for larger venues if i need it. Right now i'm playing with a small 4 piece country group. Acoustic guitar,Pedal steel, and the drummer just uses a snare and high hat. We play in a couple small restaurants,at (lounge sound levels). I have read a lot of good things about the yorkville xm 50 amps on this forum. I like the warm lows that you get in country music. I play a Warwick corvette $$ that i really love. I also would like to use this amp occasionaly on my Kay upright bass,just to enhance the sound.Most of all i like the weight and portability of this little amp. Hey guys? will this little Yorkville xm 50 do the job for me? I value your opinions ,as i cannot try one out.
    Thanks, Gary
  2. flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    The XM50 has a very full sound and handles the low B on a 5 string very well. WHile you can use it for small gigs, it may not quite be loud enough for you. While it is a little more expensive, you might consider something from the Eden Nemesis Silver Series. They have a bit more power to them and you can shape the tone a little more.
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have the XM50. It is surprisingly big sounding for its size. I love the sound and would use mine in a small room with acoustic guitars, fiddles, etc. without hesitation. It should work well with an upright. I've seen a few jazz upright players use the old Roland 60 for that and the Yorkville easily keeps up with them. There is a direct out for going to a PA if needed.

It plays louder and fills a room better than my old 50 watt 2-12 Bassman in the 60s. (sorry vintage fans)

It's too bad you can't try one. I'm impressed with mine. Surprising for a 30 lb package.

Yorkville also makes a 100 watt 1-15 combo.

I liked the Yorkville better than the Roland Cube 30, the SWR LA series and a bunch of other small amps available locally.

I have a Mesa for bigger gigs and never intended to use my Yorkville outside of my home. I'm surprised that I could within reason.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you do get it, I would love to hear how it works out. I have played in 3 to 7 piece country bands in small settings. My gut feel is that 50W would not be enough, but when we have a drummer he always has a full kit.
  5. I played an XM 50 in the local music store. It's all he carries unless you order something else specifically. Anyhow it's the best sounding under 60w amp I have ever heard. My lead singer says it's the closest thing to an ampeg in that level of watts.
    I myself don't know about that but it does sound nice and it has an even if you break it 2 year warrenty.
  6. gsdoublebuck

gsdoublebuck Guest

Mar 13, 2006
    I ordered the Yorkville xm50. It should be here in a couple days.I'll keep you posted how it works with the small group i'm playing with.
    Your comments were very helpful. Thanks again guys.