1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Advice: Potential Good Deal on Bongo Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZMEbass76, Jul 20, 2017.

1. ZMEbass76

ZMEbass76 Makin' bass faces since '92...

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Someone in my area is selling a Music Man Bongo HH 5 string "Electric Blue" bass, about 1.5 years old, and they're selling it for $500! I've attached some pics. I've done some searching, and I have yet to see a Bongo bass sell for under $1000 brand new. I just wanted to confirm with the experts here and assure myself that this deal should not be passed up. Am I correct?

Attached Files:

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Don't know about this one. Do you have $500 to spare? If so, go for it. On the other hand, if it sounds too good to be true.....

Can you get to it to play it and talk to the owner about why he/she wants to sell it?

Ampslut, TolerancEJ and ZmeBass76 like this.
  3. Crazy good price; crazy good bass.
    If you've seen/played it, and there's nothing wrong with the neck, electronics,etc. Hell yeah.
    I personally would be a little suspect of why the price is so low.
    My friend works as buyer for GC; we've talked Bongos. (I have a 4HH which is...the best!:roflmao:)

He tells me that although Bongos are totally acknowledged as superb basses, they are not sales leaders, and they pay for used ones accordingly.
    Maybe the seller needs the $$ bad; just...check everything out carefully, & good luck!

pudgychef, Ikkir, basslifter and 2 others like this.
  4. ZMEbass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Yes. I'm gonna go buy his house either today or tomorrow and check it out. He says it's in pristine condition, except that is missing a battery cover. I can deal with that. So I'll check it out and see what the deal is.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  5. ZMEbass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    He says he's selling because he wants a 4 string bass. It's missing a battery cover, but otherwise, according to him, it's in great shape. I'm gonna go check it out later this afternoon and plug it in and inspect the neck. If it's ok, I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for the advice!

6. A battery box is nothing; if you're handy, you can do that yourself, if not (like me!:roflmao:) its an easy-peasy repair for a tech.
    If it plays well for you, that's enough, unless you want to ask to take it to a tech for a look-see.
    OTOH, he may unload that right quick!
    EBMM's are built very well, and have an easy truss-rod system that someone would have to really gnash to mess up, so-

I think new these are around $1600-1800, so with the Economy & used market what they are, he just may want to get some cash and go back to what God intended us to play- 4-Strings!:roflmao:
    (i Kid, I kid!)

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  7. ZMEbass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Hahaha! Yeah, I may luck out on this deal. If he lets me, I may take it to a local tech and get them to look it over, if I don't initially like the way it feels. Otherwise, this Bongo may be mine soon!

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    That bass doesn't look right.

9. ZMEbass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Can you be more specific? What doesn't look right about it?

10. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    That's not the right bridge. The knobs don't appear to be positioned correctly on the body. The pickguard isn't right.

The bass is a fake.

CapnSev, BIGEJ2, joebar and 6 others like this.
  11. ZMEbass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    How sure of yourself are you? How can I be sure that this bass is fake?

12. BlakeInNashville

BlakeInNashville Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2015
    1. Bridge is incorrect. That's a cheaper MM-style bridge they use on the SUB series imported models.
    2. The G-string tuning peg is not aligned correctly. That string should go straight through the nut to tuning peg, but in this photo, the string changes direction after going through nut.
    3. The configuration of the knobs is also incorrect. The last knob should be virtually parallel with the saddle(s). It's not even close on the bass he's selling.
    4. The pickguard shape is incorrect.
    There may be more, but those are the quick things I see. This bass is a knockoff from China (e.g. Online Buy Wholesale bongo bass from China bongo bass Wholesalers | Aliexpress.com)

Pics attached of actual US-made MM Bongos for reference: pic 3. pic 2.

13. cgg199

cgg199

Jun 9, 2017
    I'm no expert on MM basses but it looks fake to me. The headstock looks slightly off and the body doesn't have the same contours as a genuine one. The pickguard is also the wrong shape, and the bridge is wrong - looks like the bridges used on SUB rays. The controls also look like they aren't spaced evenly to me but that could just be the photo.

As I say I'm no expert, I've only seen one Bongo in real life, but comparing it with images on Google I'd say it's fake.

14. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Definitely a fake. $500 is about $250 too much for that bass.

Just walk away.

Ikkir and Aqualung60 like this.
  15. ZMEbass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    Yeah, after looking it over thoroughly, I can tell the difference. I asked him about it, and he admits it's a replica. Thanks for the help everyone.

16. BlakeInNashville

BlakeInNashville Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2015
    "Replica?" Ha, that's funny. Very generous use of the term. I'd probably go with "counterfeit."

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Didn't read the thread. But that's a fake unfortunately.

ZmeBass76 likes this.
  18. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Whenever I purchase a model I haven't owned before, I always take time to view as many pictures of it as I can (preferably from the manufacturer's own website). You'll quickly learn to spot the nuances, and you will be much better prepared to spot a counterfeit upfront.

19. Wow- You dodged a bullet!
    I. unfortunately didn't dissect the pics, even look closely, sorry!

Good thing others came through and saved you from a bad score.

CooWoo and ZmeBass76 like this.
  20. Have you ever played a bongo? They aren't for everyone. I had one made to order a few years back. Waited months to get it. Played one show with it and was so unhappy I immedietly sold it. I don't like how it hangs when playing standing up at all. Playing while while sitting is a totally different story

ZmeBass76 likes this.