Need advice quick on getting a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Dec 11, 2005.

1. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I need to get a 1x15 by the end of this week.
    My head is a Ashdown ABM 300 evo2 and i only want to use 1x15 as we dont have any space in our car.
    Was going to get a ABM cab but as they are only 8 ohms i wont get full power out of the amp so was thinking of getting a Peavey 4 ohms 400 watt 1x15 bass cab which seems to be a good match but im sure the spl is also a factor here and the ABM is 98db so i assume its quite loud (cant find the spec for the peavey).
    So my question is should i go for a cab that can handle the full output in to 4 ohms but the spl might be slightly low or go for a 300 watt 8 ohms cab that might have a higher spl?
    Ive read the FAQ about this but still a bit confused.
    It of course would be good if i could find a 4 ohms cab, putting out 400 watts and 105db but i doubt i could afford that.
    Thanks for any tips

2. Might be a good idea to try both cabs out in a live situation - you might find the 8ohm ABM to be sufficient, and will leave you space to get another cab in the future should you get a bigger car ;).

Of course, if you don't plan on using another cab in the future, I'd probably go for a 4 ohm cab and get full power from my amp.
  3. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for the reply
    Trying them out is not an option neither is using 2 cabs but it does make scence to go for the 4 ohms cab. its just that ive read (and many not of understood) that the loudness comes from the spl factor rather than the watts to certain degree.

4. Yeah.
    There should be a noticable difference between a 300W cab and a 800W cab - but it wouldn't be as much of a difference between a 98dB 300W and a 101dB 300W cab...

Peaveys ARE loud. I guess you should go down that route. Can you not try out the cabs in the shop to see which one sounds better? :)
  5. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    What about one of these they are meant to be great speakers. I dont have any personal experience witht them though. Or better yet why not two of these you could get the full wattage of the amp. They would take up more or less the same space as the peavey 1x15 and can be broken up into two smaller sections for fitting into a small space. Plus you would have aprox twice the speaker area you would have with a single 1x15. Which is a good thing.
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, that's correct. The problem with going by this information alone, though, is that sensitivity is usually measured on-axis at some single frequency; this can be deceiving when you try to reconcile it with a cab's real-world performance.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

Are you in London UK or London Canada. Just asking since I have a Bergantino 115 I'd like to sell.
  8. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Buy in haste repent at leisure. Rent something for the one time need and decide at a more reasonable pace.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  9. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for all the replies and sugestions.
    As i said ill need a 1x15 only but have been looking in to getting a 2x12 instead as they seem to be a bit louder
    The main thing is its 350-400watts at 4 ohms and small.
    I do need to get it by this coming weekend but i dont want to rush in to it either, i can just about get by. just done a gig where the amp was almost fully turned up running in to my MAG C-115 cab and it was really distorted but playable. Im hoping to get a cleaner sound out of the amp and i hope the above spec will do it.
    So far i still fancy the Peavey 1x15 as its loud(ish) cheap, small and my locla shop has it so i can go pick it up.
    Thanks again for all the input and keep it coming.