Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need advice re: digital recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Boozy, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    if you dont wanna read it all i am basically wondering is what the hek to buy.. i want digital recording, need a mixing board and dont wanna spend too, too much.. but would like to eventually expand, buy more, be able to do recordings for other bands, etc.. i tend to come accross deals on ebay and the only reason i havnt already bought a digital 8 track is because i'm scared that it wont be what i had hoped for..

i am in a band and we are looking to get some new recording gear.. we all have experience with recording via 4 track/mixing board (have made 2 full cd's that both sounded pretty good but were done basically live, mic-ing amps/drums/vocals).. we all have experience with making our own computer generated songs via acid, soundforge, fruity loops, etc.. now we want to go total digital..

*keep in mind that we only have a tascam 4 track right now along with our regular equipment (instruments, amps, PA, drums, etc)*

i am wondering where to start.. i was looking at layla 24 bit digital 8 track.. that seems like it would be good.. but i am wondering if the computer programs available will really replace (and do justice for) a good mixing board.. like i assume you would not need a mixing board going digital.. am i wrong? if you had layla could you do:

1 drums
    2 bass
    3 lead guitar
    4 rythem guitar
    5 main vocals
    6 backup vocal 1
    7 backup vocal 2
    8 backup vocal 3

then they would appear on your screen as seperate tracks and you could make each sound how you want.. fix any flaws in timing etc. BUT, you would be limited.. (drums would all be on 1 track and not mixed first for an even sound)...

so, i guess i am wondering this... should we go this route (would require 2 laylas and 16 channel mixing board): (could buy mixing board now, 1 layla now, and another later)

every mic into its own channel on 16 channel mixing board, then every channel on mixing board into its own digital track on layla and into the computer for editing?..

i'm not worried about soundcard or computer as i have a PIII 700e @ 933 (133 fsb) and it can run over 1 ghz with no probs whatsoever.. 512MB pc133 RAM @ 143 cas2-2-2 easily, 3 ultra2 scsi 9 gig hard drives, 1 13gig ide hard drive, good burner, good vid card, soundblaster live!, etc.. all in a huge full tower case with more room to spare than you could imagine.. i can upgrade easily (i built it).

thanks for any and all help, opinions, etc.. very much appreciated.

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    oh ya, i was just using the layla as an example.. i'm sure there are far better digital 4 or 8 tracks out there..

thanks.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    What is your budget? Cause what you are suggesting ain't cheap.

It's not necessary to get a mixer, but you do need 8 mic preamps (for 8track recording), so you might want to get a mixer. Some soundcards do have mic pre's like the Aardvark Q10.

If you got a mixer you can also send your drum to a stereo bus, as well as your backing vocals and record to 8 tracks.

Do you already got the mics?

Greetz,
    Awesome