1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need advice to help my kid

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by razorblade, May 19, 2011.

1. razorblade

razorblade

May 18, 2011
    I recently got my bass which brought me here,that said,my 14 yr old son asked for a guitar for his b-day,he's taking lessons at school and he's gotten pretty good!I don't have money for lessons and the summer is coming,what can I do to further his progress?any recommendations on DVDs or books that will help him?pm me to make sure I get the message.thank you many times:)

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Honestly, there are tons of guys around here that will do lessons for like $20 a pop. Just once a week with the right teacher would help tremendously. If that's still too tight of a budget, I guess my only other advice would be "don't get in his way." I picked it up myself at first, and then learned more later on in school. If he's really enjoying it he'll keep at it, and that's really all you need for any sort of artistic expression.

3. razorblade

razorblade

May 18, 2011
    Don't worry about that!I won't "get in his way",I wish my dad was able to afford a instrument for me when I was a wee lad,but then again I didn't have the patience to learn on my own,my son is teaching me how to read tabs so I can try to "catch up" to him!

4. A good book to learn theory or one of music he likes could tide him over for the summer maybe. Has he considered joining a band? That'll make you better and is great fun. There isn't any great substitute for a good teacher though. As long he's interested and still into it, then that's what matters.

5. Probably the best thing to do for him is to get yourself a pair of noise cancelling headphones, and if applicable, a set for your wife too!