1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice to upgrade Peavey Firebass 700 Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dodgeboy32, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dodgeboy32

dodgeboy32

Aug 25, 2005
    My Firebass 700 used to be fine in my last band, but now I am in a new band and these guys are loud! My limiter light is coming on and I need more volume to break through the mix. I have a couple options, but unsure which way to go. I thought maybe I could get another Firebass 700 head and bi-amp it with the existing head, and add another cabinet. Or, I have been looking at getting a preamp such as a Sansamp RBI and running into a poweramp such as a Crown or QSC and getting a better cabinet. I am currently running a Peavey 115 cabinet which is rated for 375 watts I believe at 4 ohms, and a Peavey 118 at 8 ohms. The 15 is getting more power than the 118 because of the ohm difference. Will I get more volume by adding another 8 ohm cabinet which would max the head out at 2 ohms, or should I get another firebass head? Will this give me more volume, or should I just go for the preamp / power amp combo and new cabinets? $$$ :/ Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 - Peavey 118 cabs at 8 ohms each, a Peavey 410 at 4 ohms, which has a crackly upper right driver at 4 ohms, and the Peavey 115 at 4 ohms. I just need to get more volume without worrying about blowing the drivers... Thanks for any suggestions!

Rob

2. Carvin B1500 - loud as ****

Get better 410 with efficient drivers and one or two of your 18's and it will kill.

2000 watt power amp + preamp will also work fine...just more stuff to lug around compared to the carvin - been there, did the lugging. Also peavey does the pro 2000 which looks beastly - though pricey.

Maybe just replacing the drivers in the 410 would be a good start...but could run 400-500 bucks depending on what you get . I doubt the firebass is wimpy really - I have a peavey mark 6 and when its rammed against its limiter it does the job.

Adding a fourth driver to 3 existing ones will have some, but not significant, change in output...remember you have to double the amount of speakers to get a 3db increase in volume.

Efficient speakers are important - on a per driver basis good 15's seem to be the typically most efficient through most of the frequency range, though they take up more room than 10's.

Peavey black widows are known as being loud though - so if your 15s/18's are BW's maybe it is amp issues.

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    The op said his 15 could handle 375 watts. A black widow 15 does 600.

By the way, I just picked one of 'em (115 BXBW) up off Craig's list on a whim for $75 bucks. Best $75 I've ever spent. The first time I had a chance to really try it out was at practice and the look of surprise on my guitarists face over how good it actually ended up sounding was priceless--not that he's much of a gear snob, but neither of us was expecting much out of it.

4. Bassdumpster

Bassdumpster

Sep 6, 2008
    Call Peavey..601-483-5365.. Firebass w/two 15 cabs myself 8 and 4 ohm...never though about the power distribution as they are stacked..hmmmmmmmmmm

5. I've got a Firebass running at full power into 2 ohms (check the way I have my gear set up on my profile) and my rig is amazingly loud. The clip light comes on anytime my volume is up past 2 but I've never had any trouble so I'm not worried. I've had quite a few people snicker about my Peavey but I absolutely LOVE it.

I've even thought about getting a second one and doubling them up!

6. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Are your cabs BW loaded ? Your problem might lie more in the vein of lack of efficiency/lack of cutting through frequencies. Most 18" aren't really good at producing more than boom: this leaves you with a single 15" to produce the all important mids.

I rock a 215-D BW cabinet and have no problems with mids, but I do play a p-bass and we are loud, but not that loud. Pairing your 15" with another one or maybe a 410 would be better. That or just find the same 215 as me and put a 410 on top of it like the guy who sold me mine did. You'll be able to run your amp @ 2ohms and milk all the power out of it.