1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Advice: Traveling With Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TinaToya2014, Mar 25, 2013.

1. TinaToya2014

TinaToya2014

Jan 8, 2013
    This summer I'm going to a six week summer arts camp in Michigan. I live in Denver, Colorado. My family need a few ideas of how we can affordably get my bass and I there and back. I don't have a flight case. Also, our budget is under $900. We are willing to drive, but are wondering if there are any other possibilities.

2. koipond

koipond

Dec 8, 2011
    los angeles, ca
    Have you considered renting? It seems like an easier and cheaper option than trying to transport your db with the possible damage that might occur.

3. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    If it's Interlochen (I went there twice) you're talking about, your only non-flight case option is to drive. Shipping your bass or flying would both require a flight case. Another option is that Aaron Riley from Guarneri House does rather good deals on rentals for the summer with many of the students there, if you'd rather fly yourself.

4. Travel by train?

5. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    From what I understand, Amtrak puts basses in the cargo compartment, which you'd need a flight case for.

6. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Can you borrow or rent a hard case?
    Ask your teacher if s/he has one or know someone who would let you borrow or rent for cheap!
    Then you'd have more option!
    Good luck and congratulation on the summer camp!

7. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Buy two seats on amtrak?
    Also, there has to be a place in colorado that rents hard cases. Renting is much cheaper than buying.

8. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    Renting a flight case would give you more options, but I mentioned Amtrak as a moot point- there's no train station near Interlochen.