Need Advice-Used OC2 for $50 or New Digitech X-Series BassSynthWah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The guy says the OC-2 is only eight months old and he has all the original packaging and manual.Is it worth $50 or should I try out the BassSynthWah for $80 so I can take it back if I don't like it?The Digitech has a Sub-Octave but looks like it can only be used with an Envelope or Filter Sweep.I'm thinking even though the OC-2 has only one sound it might be more usable(more often) in a band situation.Those synth effects are very fun to play with but I don''t think i'd get to use them very often in my band(at least not with a straight face).Any opinions?
  2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    You can find a ton of used Effects pedals at at very good prices.
    I typed in Boss OC and 11 results came up including 1 at 29.99.
    They don't have pictures of most gear but if you know what model number you are looking for you can usually find it.
    The new Digitech pedals probably will not be there since they only deal with used equipment and those pedals have not been out long enough for people to trade in or sell.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    You can turn off the envelope filter on the digitech pedal so that it functions as just an octaver. It tracks down to low B with no glitching although the low freq you get (when going that low) is basically useless unless you want to destroy your speakers. It is a very impressive pedal for the price. Certainly a better octaver than the OC2.
  4. ihixulu;
    You've played the Digitech? Could you tell us more about the box? Seems like allot o' bang for the buck. Does it react well to your playing and style or is it more like "monkey's playing along with your bass" if you know what I mean.....?
  5. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

I spent about 30 minutes checking it out at a store (an active 5 string into a Peavey 15" combo). The sounds are pretty good and to my ears very musical if a bit on the cool side. I found the pedal to be well behaved; the tracking was very impressive; no monkeys except for me. The control knobs function change with whatever mode you're in so that is a bit of a pain (had to keep referring to the manual).

By and large I don't see how you could go wrong with the pedal @$79.95. WAY Better than the Boss and a lot cheaper. If I didn't have the SB1 coming to me for my birthday I'd be all over this one.
  6. Do you mean "cool" as in a "low-key" sense or a "hip" sense? At that price it is hard to imagine NOT buying one!
  7. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Sorry bout that, I meant cool in a tonal sense. It is not as warm sounding as an EH Synth for example, less high end rolloff. It is not harsh though.

It is interesting that you mention "low-key". One of the problems I had with the Boss was that no setting seemed laid back enough, they all sounded like bleepidy bloop hell to me. THis one didn't annoy me in that way.
  8. I see. Well, subtlety could be a good thing I 'spose. I understand what you say about the "cool" digital thing. The OC-2 is a little more upfront and certainly does have a character of it's own but it's glitchey-ness makes it far from subtle. So many better octavers now a days..I wouldn't bother; get an EBS.