Need Advice: Want to replace pickups in G&L Tribute Jazz Bass with Fender Noiseless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KalElVinist, Oct 21, 2020.

1. KalElVinist

KalElVinist

Jul 27, 2020
    Anyone out there with a G&L Tribute Jazz that has swapped out the factory pups with something less noisy? I've never changed out pickups and I didn't know if there were any significant dimension issues with using the Fender Noiseless. Or if there was another brand and model that are noiseless and would fit the holes? I'm assuming they'll fit as I've swapped out my pickguard with a Fender sized jazz pickguard, but I wanted feed back here as well.

Thanks!

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm assuming you have the JB because you've mentioned a pickguard (as opposed to the JB-2), and yes, pickups for Fender Jazz basses should fit. To make sure, just measure the length of the pickups and confirm the bridge pickup is slightly longer than the neck pickup, because I've read some Tribute JB-2 models had pickups of the same length (as did some old MIM Fenders). If the pickups are of different lengths, you're good to go.

In my USA G&L JB, I've used DiMarzios and Lace Man o' War pickups, which are both excellent. If you want something close to the stock G&L JB tone without the noise and without spending that much, DiMarzio's Area J is a great choice.

I love the Lace Man o' War set, but they don't produce traditional J-bass tone. They're slightly darker and thicker sounding, and fill in a band mix almost like a P-bass. They're true single coils with greatly reduced noise due to Lace's Sensor shielding technology, which is cool, because at high volume they absolutely rip like true single coils should. I'll never forget the first time I ran them through a huge rig...holy $#...! Again, not traditional J-bass, but totally old-school, and very versatile IMO.

3. KalElVinist

KalElVinist

Jul 27, 2020
    Thanks so much!

4. KalElVinist

KalElVinist

Jul 27, 2020
    What do you think about the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups? I've been recommended those as well.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've never tried the Ultra Jazz, but many on TB swear by them. They have a more modern "scooped" sound than the Area J, i.e., more highs and lows, with less midrange. Take a look at the tone chart, and then compare it to the Area J:

Ultra Jazz™ Pair | DiMarzio

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022