1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice with bass order mess up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pugz, Dec 15, 2006.

1. I recently ordered a beautiful 1975 fender jazz bass from america (I live in the UK), and the order was mucked up.

The problem is they delivered me 75 jazz with a rosewood fretboard, and i remember when ordering being very specific to them about delivering me one with a maple neck.

Usually it would be easiest to simply send it back but the shipping just to take it over cost $106. To send the bass back and send another one over its going to start getting very expensive.

I do like both the maple and rosewood fretboards however I was looking for a nice bright sound and rosewood is more of a warmer sounding wood.

Here's an image of both basses for those interested:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So can anyone suggest to me what I can do about getting this sorted? Are there any alternatives to sending it back to america?

2. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Is there any paper work indicating what you ordered? If you can show the company you purchased the bass from, that they sent you the wrong one, they should pay the shipping charges, to make it right. If there is no paper work, and the company is unwilling to foot the entire shipping cost, why not see if they would be willing to split the additional charges. Just some ideas.

Peace

3. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Did you specify "neck" or "fretboard"? Almost all Fenders have maple necks, but if you wanted the maple fretboard, that is a different term. Good luck!

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Looks great with the rosewood, IMO. :)

5. I forgot to mention a few things. The order was made by phone, though on the phone I was being very specific with them about making sure I got the maple fretboard jazz rather than the rosewood one. I foresaw a mistake like this happening so I wanted to do my best to make sure this wouldn't happen but they still mess up with this stuff :S :(

So because I ordered phone I'm not sure I can prove that I did order the maple version :S

Another problem which screws me over now is the fact that I had it delivered to a friend of mine in the US and he had it shipped to me because they didn't offer shipping to the UK. So that puts the people i bought it from in the position to say they won't pay for the delivery to return it from the US.

If I send it back its going to have ended up costing me $320 just to have it shipped :S

They may even **** up the order again :(

What you guys do in this position?

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think in this case you should just settle for the Rosewood.

I mean, in your original post you said you wanted a "maple neck" specifically. Given this, are you completely sure you didn't say "neck" on the phone? In this case, I'd take the bass as it is rather than eat some more charges.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yep, you are pretty much screwed. They would probably pay for shipping from your friend's address in the US back to them and send the replacement there too, but obviously they will not refund you for shipping back and/or forth to the UK.

You should have had your friend check it out before shipping it to you.

On the bright side, that combination of natural ash and rosewood is less common in a '75 RI and it looks really nice. Just put bright strings in it and bump up the highs in your amp/preamp, and you are there.

Just embrace it and enjoy it.

Oh, and put a tortoise shell scratchplate in it and it will look even more delicious.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Put stainless rounds on it and call it done.
    If it were a freltess bass, you'd hear more difference.
    I'd bet you 5 pounds if I recorded a maple fingerboard, and rosewood one, and played them back to you blindfolded, you couldn't hear the difference.

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Scripta mane (writting stays). Unfortunately there is no way you can prove what happens when you speak over the phone (unless recorded). Even when you have things in writting people can always deny on grounds of human mistake. It has happened to me with ED ROMAN twice in 2 days; major mess up (I will post a separate thread on that).

That's why I prefer to have all in paper (or email), unless you know the other person for quite some time and time has proven the trust-worthiness of the person (business)

10. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    You'd pick up a maple fretboarded neck like that for a lot less than $320 on ebay. Then either sell the rosewood one to recoup or keep it and swap as fancy takes you.

11. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    rosewood fretboard looks nicer than maple IMO!

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Agreed. I've done the doubleblind test on two identical basses other than the fretboard material, heard zero difference. There might be a subtle difference in attack, but it's very slight and you have to really look for it to find it.

Both are dead sexy, and even if I prefer my blonde J-basses with a maple board, I would keep the rosewood one anyhow. See if the company is willing to send you some free stuff for screwing up the order! :D

13. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You found a way to violate a dealer agreement between the retailer and the manufacturer. You also discovered why it can be a very bad idea to do such a thing.

As long as everything goes perfectly and you never had a warranty issue, hey, who cares? Right?

But hardly anything is perfect.

Live and learn.

14. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    sell it man. then get a maple fretboarded one from elsewhere.
    the maple board with the natural ash looks the best, and the rosewood board sticks out like a sore thumb. now if it was 3 tone sunburst, it would look fine, but natural,and rosewood with unmatching pearloid blocks just look ridiculous in my eyes.
    this is all IMO by the way. I just believe in everything matching. do what you gotta do man. BE SATISFIED !!! never just settle. ALWAYS get exactly what you want.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My thoughts exactly.

16. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Just hunt ebay for a new neck and sell your existing one. Much cheaper, and much less headache than trying to return the bass.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Does Fender offer any Bass with any neck wood other than Maple ?of course not, reputable Fender dealers(not at all saying the dealer you dealt with is not) knows that when the customer says I would like a maple neck they usually automatically know that the customer means maple finger board.Try ordering a Fender and ask for a rosewood neck,you're going to either get a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard or a comment like but Fender does not make a rosewood neck.

18. The whole thing about me saying a maple neck was just me messing up when typing the original post. I did specify to the company a maple fretboard not neck.

I think I will sell this current one and then buy another one except from the UK. Seems the best way to do things. I haven't used the bass at all so I will get a good price for it so there should be very little extra expense.

The rosewood fretboard is ok but when I spend $1500 on a bass I do want to get exactly what I had in mind. Not something that is almost what I wanted but not quite :)

19. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    That bass with the rose board looks hot

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    yeah, I agree that it does look well dodgy with the rosewood board and the natural body...but it's soemthing you've just gotta live with!