Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCT, Apr 11, 2005.

1. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I really want a 5 string bass. I've narrowed it down to two, but really can't decide between them. I mean I love the electronics in the Stingray 5 that I looked at, but I just don't like the way it looks. On the other hand I loved the Marcus Miller 5 and the active passive switch is bad ass, but I know that SR gives me more options in the sound department, but I don't really like going too high and growly. Well anyways this is gonna be my first 5 string and I what I wanted to ask is which would you guys go for?

2. MCT

Check this chosing a Fiver can be tough, question how much you want to spend also how often do you think you are going to use it. And what sound are you really looking for.

I just purchased my first Fiver, love it! I got a Tune Guitar Technology (TWB 53) 5 string. Its a great bass I got from Sam Ash in Brooklyn NY. This bass is very, very well made and it has a bassy and bright tone. I use a Roland Cube 100 amp and she sings jsut fine. Take a look you might be surprised in what ya find take good luck...enjoy!

Big Ce

3. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks for the advice, but the Marcus Miller does cost a lot more than The SR 5 so that in the end might be the deciding factor. Thanks Man *thumbs up*

4. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    If youre not completely happy with both then look for something else. Theres so much to choose from. Or just get th SR ;)

5. Hey MCT~

If you like the Marcus Miller better but don't want to pay for it, look for a used one! Don't settle. I bought an Ibanez sr505 when I started playing bass again becuase I didn't know what I wanted yet. I played guitar for almost 15 years before picking the bass up. So... I played a lot of basses looking for the right one because I didn't know what I was realy looking for. I ended up going with a custom from Chris Stambaugh but that is kinda pricey. Point is that there are a ton of 5'ers out there and all of them are a bit different. The more you play, the better your grasp will be on what you want. Don't settle for poor quality or for a bass that's just not quite right!