need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimbass55, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Okay I am torn between a rock and a hard place so let your opinions fly. For quite a while, I have been wanting to build my own Warmoth bass. I am a crossover guitar player and a Fender Tele Freak. I wanted to build a 4 string bass that looks exactly like my Tele guitar. My only problem is the price. It would be fairly easy to spend $800 building this thing. For that price I could probably get 2 American Fenders(used) or maybe even a Geddy Jazz bass and a MIM P-bass. Anyway please share your ideas. I am also afraid about the bass not being worth much as far as resale value.(If things didn't work out. Thanks.
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    resale vaule isn't very good. but i have wanted to do that for ever!!!
    i love tele's!!!
    are you loolimg for a esquire?
    my dad built one.
    nice flame top. in sunburst. it is at a music store on the wall for sale.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    not trying to advertise
    i just want an opinion from a tele freak
  4. For $800, you could get a Geddy Lee and a MIM P new.

Warmoth basses are nice, and I've been wanting to build one myslef for a while now. You can easily spend $800 on a Warmoth, depending on what options you go for. I'm not sure what the resale value for Warmoth basses are, so be sure you get what you know you want.
    One problem you could encounter with a bass styled after the Telecaster guitar is neckdive. The lack of an upper horn will alter the center of gravity. Fender did offer a Telebass, but the body styel was more like the modern P bass than the Tele guitar.

There are many option for you to look into in your $800 range, even if you are strictly loyal to Fenders.

The Geddy Lee and the MIM P would be a nice pair to grab, and they hold resale fairly well, depending on their condition.
  5. Looks interesting, but if I buy another it will be vintage. But first I must conquer this bass GAS.
  6. Mopar the second pick looks better, I really dig the P/U cover. What about that neck though? Did he make that?

Thanks for your input Chaos, the more time I spend pondering this, the worse the idea seems. Plus I am not excited about spendig over $500 dollars for just the neck and body(Alder body/maple neck) when it would basically be the same tonewoods as a American Fender, or comparible.

Hey Choas, are you still interested in the P-bass body?

Thanks and keep them coming
  7. you have considered the G&L ASAT, i assume?
  8. No I had not seen this bass before. Do you know if it has problems with "Neck Diving"

Also do you know how much they cost?

Are there any other brands out there that look like a Tele?

9. I've got a few too many projects going on right now, so I really can't justify another one. Maybe in a little while.
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    for the time being he is buying necks.
    they are graphite reinforced. with a graphite nut.
    and feel very nice.

11. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    As previously stated G and L make/made a tele bass. Shecter did make one-don't know if its in current production. Fender did make a Telecaster bass but it was really a pre 57 facelift Precision.
  12. i've never played an ASAT standing up, but with a tele style bass you'll get a little neck dive no matter what. don't know how much they cost new, but try to find one used. G&L has little resale value.

i can tell you that it's versatile, and a little heavy.
  13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    they're makin asats semi hallow as well now.
  14. I allways thought that the tele basses looked alot likt the early P basses (51,52 etc)

Please correct me if i am wrong.
  15. I am getting real interested in the G&L ASAT. I think I may lean towards picking one of those up as opposed to constructing my own. The Warmoth route sounds fun until you add up total expense and then factor in maybe a little luthier charges to dress the fretts, and install a bone nut(not worth doing if you can have someone do it for under $45) Thanks for the info guys.
  16. No, you're not wrong.

here is a pic of the sting sig bass, which IIRC is a copy of the telebass / old P bass body style.

and here, the modern P bass body style.

and the typical Telecaster body style.

to me, the basic body shape between the old p/ telebass and the modern P bass are practically the same. But very different compared to the Telecaster body.
  17. Well I kinda got the best of both worlds on its way.
    I bought a G&L ASAT for $200 dollars cheaper than I could have built the Warmoth, and it has what I think will be a versatile pickup setup. Looks like a Tele so I am happy.