Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by comeonandyayhaw, Jun 26, 2002.

1. comeonandyayhaw

comeonandyayhaw Guest

Jun 24, 2002
    TAMPA, FL
    i need a new amp around the $600-700...i was thinkin' somewhere along the lines of bassman200 or combo115...i was wondering which one would be more reliable (if there are anymore amps i should check out please list them)

2. I just bought an Avatar 4x10, Gallien Krueger 400Rb-III Head, and a 5ft speaker cable for a total of $740.52 (if my calculations are correct). That is a little over but it's cheap for a good new cab/head setup.

How Loud are you looking to be?

3. comeonandyayhaw

comeonandyayhaw Guest

Jun 24, 2002
    TAMPA, FL
    for right now...at least 200 watts...i COULD spend a lil over what i said...

4. What i posted will give you about 150w through 8 ohms and if you added a 2x10 or 1x15 later it would be 240w (or just get a 4ohm cab for the 240w). I'm sure you could find a used GK head a lot cheaper. I suggest you go for a head/cab setup though for that kind of power. It will sound louder.

5. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    The GK / Avatar setup looks like a real good value. I don’t know much about Avatar, but it looks like there are quite a few people on this site that really like them. Here’s an alternative that I’ve been pretty happy with. Check out the Nemesis NC-210P by Eden. http://www.eden-electronics.com/ncombos.html It's got two 10's and a tweeter, and puts out 225 Watts. I’ve had this amp for about 4 years. My principle reason for buying it was I was looking for something small and light weight for smaller club gigs. However, I’ve since used it in much larger rooms than I ever thought it would be good for. It is surprisingly loud, and the tone is very good.

You can get one new for about $550. They also come up on ebay often enough. If you do look for a used one, make sure it’s a newer model with the finned heat sink on the back. The older ones just used the chassis alone for heat sinking, and would go into thermal shutdown with really loud playing after a while. They also make other models with various speaker configurations (210, 112, 212, 115, & 410). I’m not a big fan of the 115. I haven’t heard either of the 12’s, but I’ve heard from others that they sound good. You can probably get the 410 model and stay within your budget if you want a bit more volume.

6. Hey comeonand....,I own an Eden cxc solo 400.The only input I can give on Eden products..Buy Eden!!!(I love my Eden).Eden puts out a quality product.I'll never go back to Peavey after I found this set-up.Although I will say that I hear a lot of good things about the Peavey Black Widow.I never tried the less expensive Eden models,but i did a lot of reading/research on bass amps before I went this route.They(Eden/Nemesis) fare very well in reviews.Check em out if you're looking for a good rig.I havent had any problems with my Eden.Good Luck.

7. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Here's another one - a used Eden WT400 and an Avatar 210 cabinet. The WT400's come up on ebay quite often, and go for around $500, and the Avatar goes for under $200 new. For a few more bucks you can get the Avatar 410. Myself, I’d go for the 210, and when I have some extra money, I’d upgrade to an Eden or Aguilar cabinet. Or, if you are completely satisfied with the Avatar, and just want a little more volume, you can always add a second Avatar 210, or maybe a 115 if you want to fatten up the bottom a little.

I like this rig better than my first suggestion. The WT400 delivers 400W, and sounds fantastic! It's the kind of amp you may never outgrow. Even if you start playing really big rooms, and need to go to a separate power amp, you'll likely want to keep the WT400 for club gigs. If the Avatar is as good as a lot of people say they are, then you've got a killer rig at a really great price. If it is a little lacking, well, you don't have a lot of cash wraped up in it.

8. comeonandyayhaw

comeonandyayhaw Guest

Jun 24, 2002
    TAMPA, FL
    ok...im totally out of the combo idea...so i was thinkin that im goin w/ either the 4X10 or 2X10 and 115 from avatar...but what would be a good affordable head (under $650) to power the cabs?

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Carvin R1000,,...

$649 new,, 1000 watts,, good tone,, you can always add a tube preamp.

And don't try and argue 1000 watts is too much!! I'd rather use half the power and get a clean sound rather than blowing up a 400 watt head at full volume (and I still can't hear myself!)

10. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    it'd help if i knew what style of music you're going to be playing

11. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    it would help to know what style of music you're playing

12. comeonandyayhaw

comeonandyayhaw Guest

Jun 24, 2002
    TAMPA, FL
    im in two bands

one band i play heavy metal...in the other...i play softer rock that requires a warmer sound

the warmer sound is more important though if i cant find both in one amp

13. hey man Check out the SWR workingman's Series...good stuff, i got 200 watt head and a 2X10t from it...there OK but not in my band(Black Metal) but check them out for metal and soft rock

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Nemesis

Peace
    Nick