1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need advice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by matt_reeves, Apr 6, 2009.

1. matt_reeves

matt_reeves

Apr 6, 2009
    First post

I have been playing bass for about 2 years now. I mastered the beginner book that i picked up at the local store, and i need to find a good book to continue to learn from. however, I have some specific requirements. I have been playing piano for 11 years and saxophone for about 6, so I have no problem reading music, etc. what i need is a book that will teach me different techniques and good grooves. the problem is that every book i look at is either way too advanced for me or starts out with quarter notes... blah. can anyone reccomend a good book, website, anything?

2. Jeremommy

Jeremommy

Oct 2, 2007
    playbassnow.com

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    May I suggest you crack open some of your old piano books and check out some of those left hand parts? Heck, why not try create some two hand tapping lines based off of some piano songs. A great example of this is Linus and Lucy.

4. matt_reeves

matt_reeves

Apr 6, 2009
    ah, i like that idea... I bet some of bach's "inventions" would sound pretty cool.

5. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
    I've purchased Jon Liebman's BASS GROOVES: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION a few weeks ago. Some good stuff in there which will keep me occupied for a long time to come!

Check jonliebman.com for details.

6. jonster

jonster

Nov 12, 2008
  7. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    In addition to Johns book, consider Paul Westwood's Bass Bible. A very good catalogue of bass lines in most styles.