1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jepus, May 14, 2011.

1. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Okay here's my story;

I'm currently living in Vancouver on a 1 year visa. Been here about 4 months. Foolishly I came here without a bass.

Last month a family member won some money on the lottery and offered to buy me something, so I ordered a Stingray 4 HH from a local music shop. Now I have to wait 3-4 months for it to arrive. I'm going crazy without a bass to play, so I was considering buying a VM Jazz for $308 Canadian and then trading it in when the Stingray arrives. I've already gotten a quote from the shop for the trade in price, it'd be $150, so I'd be technically renting the bass for $150 or so for 3 months.

What say ye fine people of Talkbass. Should I do it, or should I just wait it out?

2. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    You don't have another bass already with you?

3. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Nov 24, 2010
    Central Alberta
    I enjoyed the VM Jazz when I've played it in music stores. If I didn't already have a Jazz, I'd consider buying one.

For 150$ our money, that's a pretty good deal.

4. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Nope. :(

I foolishly thought I'd get on fine for a year without a bass!

5. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    :eyebrow:

6. 1 - You're an idiot. A year without a bass?!?
    2 - You're an incredibly lucky idiot that a family member would win the lottery & share their good fortune with you.
    3 - Once you get the Stingray you'll need a backup anyway so you may as well keep the VM Jazz, unless you need to trade it in on an amp to play the Stingray through. But what will you play the VM Jazz through in the meantime?

7. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I agree with points 1 and 2. Though I would like it noted that I am paying for half of the Stingray.

I got a good deal in the store, a free Fender Rumble 15 with the Stingray. And the sales guy said that he'll give it to me with the Squier if I want it (which of course I will)

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Dude, why wouldn't you just buy the VM Jazz and then sell it for more than $150.00, or at least consider keeping it as a back up and have an awesome set of basses for the rest of your life?

9. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    I'd say buy something better than a Rumble 15, and get a crappy used POS $50 bass to tide you through till the SR4HH comes in and sell the crappy used POS bass for $55.

10. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    The rumble 15 suits me perfectly considering the crappy sound proofing in my apartment, so I can't really have anything louder. I'll have an M80 in front of it to give it a better tone though.