1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Trayster2, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Hi bass players,
    I am a late bloomer in my 40's, and decided to fulfill my bucket list by learning to play bass. Is 40+ too old to learn? Which brand bass guitar would be an excellent starting point? I don't want to spend too much until I'm certain I stick with it. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

2. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    Hi, welcome to talkbass! 40 certainly isn't too old to start; many people here have started even later than that!

Many people here will recommend the Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified basses, and I agree. They're easy to find for under $300, and they're high quality and a great starting point.

Good luck!

3. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks so much!

4. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
  5. I probably should have added that I took up bass at age 63. Four years later, I'm still a beginner (in my book) but I don't practice four hours a day either. I just have fun learning and playing in a local hobby band called the Living Room Ramblers, which pretty much sums up the extent of our gigging.

6. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Has anyone had any dealings with guitarcenter.com or Amazon? I only have 1 music store nearby who only carry Schecter brand basses.

7. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Jack, what kind of bass did you start with? And was it a 4 or 5 string?
    Thanks.

8. Well, I'm sure you got a lot of TalkBass people laughing, asking that question of me, the amateur who must play the weirdest basses of any of us. I started with a guitarrón that was highly modified—new fingerboard, strung differently, and with an added end pin—that I call an upright guitarrón (UG). This year I added a home-made electric upright guitarrón (EUG). (They both have six strings.) So, I'm afraid my experience won't help you decide at all.

However, I have toyed with and investigated the idea of getting some "real" basses, and I think if I were to buy right now I'd probably get:
    —For a double bass, a Lemur Solano (which my pro-bassist teacher liked over several more expensive Lemur models; Lemur is in my geographical area),
    —For a bass guitar (if any at all), a Squire Jaguar Short-Scale. Both are pretty inexpensive but seem to have excellent reputations.

9. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    I got a bass!!!!! A Squire P-Bass. I start lessons on Tuesday. Thanks for the inspiration!

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Cool bass you have there!

See if you can get a "setup" done on it to make sure it's in the most playable condition. Even new basses may need adjustment.

I suggest you have your teacher check it out.

Also, check out my >500 link below for lots of great TB info that will help you out on your bass learning journey.

Good luck!

11. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks so much. I have been reading through the 500 TB Links. As far as a setup, the young guy who sold me the bass seemed very excited to tell me that the setup had been done. I (of course) have no idea what that means but I pretended to be pleased with this. Today is my first lesson. I was so excited I couldn't sleep last night! Thanks again.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Let us know how it goes. :smug: