1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advices on compressor pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DLundeNorway, Jun 7, 2012.

1. I am looking for a compressor pedal to tighten up my sound after the signal has been affected by my other pedals.

I am mostly using the EBS MultiDrive, but on some songs i tend to switch to a DigiTech BassDriver, just to get heavier sound. I have noticed when playing a clean signal and switching one of the pedals on, that the bass is losing it's low ends (especially with the DigiTech), and I have heard that a compressor pedal should help me to get a smoother sound; that it would work as a "tone recovery".

It there any compressor you would recommend or warn me about, and tell me why it is a good/bad pedal?

I play a Yamaha RBX 357 5-string bass (active pickups), which has a lot of power, and I need a compressor pedal that will do well with the low B-string.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I like my Diamond BCP-1. I would start here, if you're lucky bongo himself will chime in.

3. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    I too can recommend the Diamond BCP-1 bass comp. Bongo's site linked above was great. The Empress Compressor is another nice option if you are willing to experiment and turn some knobs.

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I really like my Diamond bass compressor and use it every gig.

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unfortunately a compressor is not a "tone recovery" device. If the tone from your distortion pedal is poor, a compressor cannot fix that. Nothing can. A compressor is a volume control. It can have tonal side effects, but its chief function is dynamic volume adjustment.

First thing I'd suggest is seeing if your dirt pedal guts the lows less if you turn down the level of the signal you feed into it. Even some so-called "bass" dirt pedals may cause a perception of losing low end when you drive the pedal with a high-level signal (like from a high-output bass).

If turning down the input level doesn't help, and the dirt pedal still cuts lows, then it's a crappy cheap Digitech and should be replaced. Spend your pedal money on a better quality dirt.

If turning down the input level DOES bring back the lows, then your problem is solved and it didn't cost a penny.

:)

6. jplumansoc

jplumansoc

Mar 15, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    +1

7. Thanks for the tip, bongomania!
    I messed around with the pedal today during my band´s rehearsal, and ended up turing the the bass knob on my bass halfway down, and I also did some changes with the blend knob on the DigiTech. It gave me the low ends back, and by adding more bass to my sound on the amp, it gave me a great bass sound!

Do you think I should get a compressor to smoothen the dynamics, to get a tighter sound live?

I also checked out the review on the Diamond BCP-1 and listened to a demo, and it sounds great. I´ll be looking for the pedal at a local music store, and if i still like it then, I´ll probably buy it. :)

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Check out the FAQ here (along with the reviews) http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

You also should think about adding a high-pass filter like TBer Fdeck's HPF or the Thumpinator that eliminate non-musical low frequency spikes that may be adding mud to your tone.

9. As far as compressors go, I like my Demeter Compulator.

10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    For tone recovery I'd recommend an EQ, or even better get a clean mix pedal like Boss LS-2.
    For compressor I'd recommend an EHX Black Finger.

11. My sincere apologies for what I'm gonna say,people. But, in no way, shape, fashion, or form am I a tech-head. I'm........... Call me v-e-r-y old-school, if you will.
    My choice of compressor? Why,of course! The best ever made. T.C. Electronics. That thing is 10+ yrs old. And,I've NEVER found/used/heard anything better.

12. frankthetank727

frankthetank727

Jul 7, 2011
    To the OP:

I have a bass distortion pedal by Tech 21 called the "Red Ripper." I think you should look into it because it has an onboard EQ (bass, treble, mid) along with Drive and Level and also a button for a low pass filter. I was experiencing the same problems you were before, but this pedal solved all my problems because I can balance the EQ on my distortion separately from the rest of my rig, therefore never losing out on low end. It's a really solid pedal, great analog tone. Probably not ideal for playing really fast melodies (i use it mostly for doom/sludge metal stuff or slower, less rapid passages, although if you wanted you probably could fiddle with the knobs and use it for faster passages) because its not really a "tight" distortion, but it's heavy as hell and sounds great. Either way, check it out, or look for distortion pedals that have an EQ on them to help shape your tone.