Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Advise. Hartke2000 +410 and 1x15 or 1x18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Dec 3, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hello all.
    I need advise on what is prudent to do.
    I already own a Hartke 2000 bass head and an Ampeg SVT410HE cabinet.
    The Head is rated at 200Watts at 4ohms, and my Ampeg cab is 240 at 8ohms.
    The whole set is actually working at 120wats due to the overall impedance.

Im planning to buy an extra cabinet to better handling the Low B, but im undecided between the 18" or 15", because of terms of efficiency and deepness.
    I already have the punch of the 4x10, but need better lows.
    Summing up that cab, the amp would put 200watts for those two cabinets.

Wich desicion is wiser?? I need lows but dont have power to spare, so a 18 seems very unefficient, and a good 15" cab design could compensate the deepness of the 18"

Any suggestions?

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I have the same head as you and I wound up going with a 15 over the 18 mostly beacause every 18 i heard sounded muddy, the freq responses werent that much different (for carvin) and the head was only pushing 200 watts into the cab, I was still am having a problem with the head clipping the cabs, due to low power and or miss matched impediance but I still think 15" is the way to go, you may think differently. They handle the lows of the 5 string more than adequtly in my opinion.

3. Ifabara, have you considered a good 2-15 cabinet?I don't
    have the head you're talking about, but I don't think it
    should be run at less than 4 ohms.It also doesn't have
    a lot of extra power,for driving two high powered cabs.
    Also, if you put two cabs of differing impedences, the
    lower number cab will suck the lion's share of the power.
    Just my opinion, but sometimes when you buy extra cabs
    thinking it'll solve your problem, it sounds worse.Also,
    I don't want you coming back to the forum in a few weeks
    telling us that you cooked your amp running it at two ohms.
    Just a concerned fellow musician. Mike J.

P.S. I never liked 18s. Too Boomy!

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, I wont worry about 2ohm total load, because my Ampeg cab is 8ohm and the newer 1x15 cab would have an 8 ohm speaker, that would sum a total load of 4ohms that will make the head push 200Watts.

Any comments on this?

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    200W is not too much for a 115 & 410 setup - no wonder that cassanova has problems with clipping (btw it's the amp that's clipping, not the speakers)
    Besides that, I guess you will probably achieve the best result when you add an Ampeg SVT cab because it's designed to go with the one you already have. You could also get a higher powered head later.
    But why not borrow a higher powered head right now and see if this solves your problem? That's the way I went - I also owned a Hartke 2000 but I was running it through a 2x15 (4 Ohms), now I've got a 400W H&K head - way better :D. You could still add a 115 later.

Just my 2cents,
    Matthias

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I dont think you have enough power to run the 18 properly, you will probably clip the amp constantly if you do. You could use the 15 but at low practice levels, I doubt you could run it at stage volume. I would stay with the 410 until you can boost your power to at least 400w.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

7. Hey Ifabara, my mistake.You stated that your 4x10 cabinet
    was 8 ohms, but, as I wrote my response, I had 4 ohms in my
    head.That's why I figured 4 ohm 4x10 cab running with another 4 ohm cab; = 2 ohms.When you add the 15 or 18 cab, your amp will sound much fuller, but the volume won't increase as much as you probably think. Try before you buy.
    I just don't want to see anyone spend money and not get the
    results they expect.Let me know what you buy.Later, Mike J.

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Sorry, I can't agree with that. If you add a second cab you increase speaker surface AND power output, wich results in a very noticable increase in volume (I would describe it as double volume) - I know this effect from my GK MB150 with extension cab.
    You can try this in any shop wich carries a 115&410 rig: test it, unplug the 115 and test it again...

But I still think that 200W is very little to run a 115 and 410 setup.

Matthias

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    True.
    200 Watts is so little.
    I remember when I used an Ampeg Svt350H with my Ampeg cab, it sounded much tighter and fuller, and louder. Maybe it was because of the 350Watts, and that the fact that the amp didnt clip pushing that cab.

I happen to live in Ecuador, and here nobody buys good gear, so I will have to seek a buyer for my Hartke head.
    I will try to get and Ampeg SVTIII-PRO before I get the cab.
    Or maybe I could sell my Head with the Cab and then order a Carvin RL1018 FULL STACK!!
    1000Watts.. No more tears!!

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I think I have to add something here:
    The increase in volume also depends on the efficiency of the cab you add (115 in your case) compared to the first one (410).
    If the efficiency of the 115 is considerably lower, Michael J. is right - you may only realize that there is more bottom.
    In my case, the ported extension cab has a better efficiency than the combo with sealed cab design, thus the big increase in volume - that's what I guess...

Just a thought,
    Matthias