1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advise on 34&1/2 scale strings eaaaasy on fingers.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jerryjg, Oct 22, 2006.

1. jerryjg

jerryjg

Aug 20, 2006
    Hi. IM not a bass player, and my hands arent made to take the punishment of a bass player. I have a older Gibson 34&1/2 scale neck and I'm looking for reccomendations on strings that are easy on the fingers.Tone doesnt matter, cause my guitar is already bright(solid maple). I know they make nylon strings that are supposed to be easy , but i dont think they make them in exrta long scale. Should I get the lightest gauge strings? what do you reccoemnd? thanks

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    You can go flatwound, which have a dull sound. The D'Addario Chromes are bright flats. If you want something brighter, D'Addario HalfWounds. They're a middle between flat and round wound.

3. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    jerryjg, your bass isn't considered extra long scale. What Gibson used to call 34 1/2" scale is the same they now call 34". If you measure from the inside edge of the nut (fretboard side) to the center of the 12th fret and multiply by 2, you should get just over 34".

Which model do you have? If it's strung through the body then you may need extra long scale strings,depending on the string brand. If it's a top load bridge, you'll be fine with regular long scale strings.

To me, the easiest strings on the fingers are D'addario XL nickel rounds. And you might want to try them in a light gauge like the EXL170 (45-100).

IMO, flats are not easier on the fingers, they're smoother but feel a lot stiffer. And even the brightest flats are relatively dark and often get lost in the mix, especially in a rock band. You can get nylon tapewounds in extra long (if you need them) through Carvin, but again, the thick tape makes them feel stiff, and if you're looking for any brightness or cut, they won't do the job.

If you're a guitarist and you're used to nickel round guitar strings, the D'addario nickel rounds in a light gauge should be easy to get used to.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats JF-344, or Jazz Rounds JR-344, are low tension strings and very easy on your fretting hand. I have two basses and have the Jazz Flats on one bass, and the Jazz Rounds on the other. They're pricey strings, but IMO, worth every penny. Choose Flats or Rounds based on your tonal preferrence.

5. Also, if you decide to go with rounds you could use a spray lubricant for the strings so they don't chew up your fingers as bad.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021