1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advise on a G string slipping off fret board - SIRE P7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gadrams, May 2, 2018.

1. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    Hello everyone,
    New member here. I just got my Marcus Miller P7 5 string not too long ago from chuck levins, I purchased it in March. Due to personal circumstances I wasn't playing the bass as much as now. Well recently i have come aware of my G string slipping of the neck when I'm play the G string; it's just annoying. Since it was an on-line purchase i would have to send it back to them and must likely pay for the shipping not to mention the time it will take before I get it back. There is a GC and a Sam Ash that i take to do this kind of work. I guess my question is will this void my warranty with chuck levins? Also smh that this is happening with this P7

2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Loosen neck screws, align to your preference, re tighten, done.

elgecko likes this.
  3. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    Thank you for your reply. When you say "align to your preference" do i need add some type small gauge shims to the grove between the neck the body on the left side (looking a the bass in front on you) of the bass?

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Not generally, if there is enough of a gap in the neck pocket i would return it. If you loosen the bolts just enough you will see what i mean, i do it in the playing position. You will be shocked how much movement there is, you have to do it and you will see what i mean.

5. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    Okay I will attempt to do that then. Thank you

6. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Picture?

- John

7. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    20180503_214232.jpg

8. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    20180503_214221.jpg

9. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    Thanks

10. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Hmm, that looks pretty well aligned and nothing seems out of sorts. Not sure what to tell you. Technique, I guess.

Is that G string rusty?

- John

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  11. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Looking at that picture it looks like the string alignment is fine. Work with the bass and you'll overcome the problem after a little while.

I have had the same issues with certain basses and it was my own technique causing the problem.

Edit: That is unless the picture is after tweaking the neck in the pocket.

12. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    Thanks 20180503_215823.jpg 20180503_215902.jpg 20180503_220357.jpg

13. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    Pictures were taken with out any adjustment. I'm still thinking about it...too new to mess with it lol

14. gadrams

gadrams

May 2, 2018
    No rust on strings. This is my second 5 string bass, first being the Squier VM 5 which had a bit wider neck so perhaps I do need to work on my technique first... I actually rather do than mess with the neck, I'm not at that comfort level. Thank you fellas.

15. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    You have plenty of room on the G string side. Everything is aligned properly.

- John

Bodeanly likes this.
  16. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Agree with John, that is about as good as it gets.

Bodeanly likes this.
  17. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Those fret ends look quite a bit more dressed/angled than I'm used to seeing. Maybe that's typical for Sire basses, I don't know. More typically dressed fret ends are still angled a little, but quite a bit squarer than that with smoothly rounded edges. Probably 1/16" or so more usable fret, so to speak. I don't know that that's enough to make a difference with your problem, but you might send that picture to your seller and/or Sire directly to see if this fret dressing is typical, or check with some other owners over in the Sire Bass Club thread.

Slapthatplank likes this.
  18. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Where is it coming off? at the nut or at the bridge? If at the nut, then the nut may not be cut correctly. If it is at the bridge, the bridge may need some adjustment.

19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    There is nothing wrong with this bass. I wish all of my basses to be forever this aligned.

20. I believe it's this. I noticed the same thing with my Sire V7 initially, aggressively rolled frets that led to the G string slipping off a few times. Got used to it pretty quick though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021