1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Advise on New Purchase, MM, SR or Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamesblue, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Need some advise.

Having trouble deciding on my next bass. My currently collaborating with a guitarist on our own insturmental project and will be recording on our own DAWs at home. We have identical gear, monitors, software, interface, etc.

I currently have a Hamer USA Cruise bass (Jazz style) and a Spector Rebop. Love both bass', but will buy a new bass soon when I trade-in a cab, and just plain wanting a new bass to help with inspiration.

I've been favoring my Spector for our songs, need a "large" bass sound to fill-out the spectrum. We want to keep the sound to drums, one bass and one guitar (mabe two guitars). I wont be have to cut through a wall of guitars or heavy synths. The guitarist just purchased a Sterling so he can do rough ideas (I play guitar too).

Issue is that I would like to have a "solo" style bass. This will be my first project that a solo style bass will work (harmonics, taps,fast runs - still need to pratice). I'd like to have low action, I won't mind the fret noise on this project.

Not sure if I should go 5 string or not, I had a Carvin LB75 that I liked, but found I didn't use the low B much in a band setting, however I may use it in my current project.

Here's what I'm considering (price limit $1400):

MM Sterling - 4 (can the action get real low)
    Spector Euro (may be out of price range)
    Ibanez - SR500/700 or Prestiege
    Fender Precision Delux
    Fender 2008 Precision

I'm leaning to the Sterling right now, will have to be ordered.
    The shop I will buy can order what I'd like, they have a Sting Ray and the Ibanez bass' in stock.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Stingrays and Sterlings are much more versitile than Spectors and Precisions IMO.

I just bought one of each in the last week and sold 3 Fenders to pay for them as I was getting sick of dragging a P and a J to every gig when a MM with even just a single H pickup will do it all.

A Sterling is smaller and lighter than a SR and has more of a Jazz style neck IMO.

3. Thanks, looking like a 2008 LTD sequoia gold finish or a standard white in the future.
    Do the MM necks allow for low action, guess any bass can, but some better than others.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Low enough IMO. Maybe not as low as a Geddy Lee Jazz but it is low enough for me. It (Sterling or SR) is a slap machine though.

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

If you're looking for versatility, go with a Bongo.

6. Does the Bongo have a different neck?

I don't slap much and know the MM bass' are great for that, but the action tends to be best set at a medium height.

I'm considering a 2008 Precision, I played a 08 Jazz w/new graphite reenforced neck, and the action was great (low like my Hamer USA Cruise). If I get this P-bass I think I would replace the pup with a Bartolini w/bart preamp (extra $200 after purchase). The down side is it wont sound like a p-bass any longer.