Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need alot of help and opinions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Ok im about 2 months out from buying a new rig...now heres what i wanna do...

Get a power amp
    Get a pre-amp
    get a cab

Now heres where i need help...

I am not sure waht kind of pre-amp to get wath is good/bad/the best?? So far sansamp looks best...give me feedback....

Power amp? what kinds are there adn which is best/worst/in the middle

And for a cab ill probably end up doing either a hartke or ampeg setup unless yall can tell me better

I play rock/metal/alternative/punk on a warwick corvette std.

Give me ur input plz!!!

-Vince

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    It all depends on what sound you want. Do you want alot of low end, or do you want guitar-like highs?

If you tell us what sound you'd like, a good reccomendation is bound to come sooner or later. ;)

3. Im looking for lows but still being able to put up some highs at times when needed...any way to get an equal balance or each eh?

-Vince

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    What's your budget??

5. Budget for all will be at capped maybe for power amp 800 cab-800 pre-amp-500...but i really dont want too high so the lower the better but ill take openminded thoughts to anything right now just need to get a look at what i want.

-Vince

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You obviously have a large enough budget to get a nice rig and plenty of time to figure out what you want. You're going to get a hundred different suggestions on this board not to mention that this type of topic has been discussed many times before. I suggest you go listen to rigs other bass players are using and trying to figure what sound you like. Also go to local music stores and play through some rigs. Look through past threads or do a search on this board, there's plenty of info already posted. After you figure out what you want look for used gear in good condition to save dough. Good Luck!:bassist:

7. I am using a Sansamp RBI, Stewart World 2.1, and an Acme Low B2. Haven't had much time to work with the Sansamp, but the Stewart and Acme are a kickin' combination. Preamps are pretty much a matter of taste; some players will only work with the high end stuff, but as long as it doesn't color your sound excessively and is quiet, I think any pre will do the job. One feature I like about the Sansamp is the DI with level control. If you work into a PA, this is indispensable. The Stewart amps are very light for their power, and the 1.6 and 2.1 are Class H, which is the most efficient class yet developed.
    Cabs are another matter of taste; I love the way the Acme sounds. Some deth heads might not get enough projection from a small, light cab like that and will opt for more efficient cabs. I like my stuff light and easy to move!

Hope this helps!:bassist:

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Before you do anything else, try out an Ampeg SVT stack. It's been doing the job for almost 35 years all over the world.

If you decide it's not for you THEN start looking at separates.

10. Are you already certain, that you want a preamp and power amp separately? There's a lot of good sounding and flexible heads on the market.

Jure

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    As for a power amp I would say the CREST LT1500, 1800 watts, $750. weighs 27 Lbs and the sound great. I use them with Bergantino's and Epifani's and run them direct with out any rack preamp!!!!! the true test!
    The LT1000 is 1200 watts and runs $550!

Cab's, well their mentioned above and in a ton of other threads :)

You have a good budget, you should be able to have a few bucks left over.

12. At this point in time I'm using a SVP-PRO -> QSC PLX1202 -> Hartke 4.5XL. The cab goes without saying as one of the best 4x10 cabs around if you like the Hartke sound. The amp is pushing 700 watts at 8 ohms bridged and has never clipped. The pre-amp gives it that "Rock and F'ing Roll" tone that I love. It has other tones as well but that is the one I use all the time. Good luck with your choice.

13. kroth

kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    how much do you really need? Are ya playing stadiums or coffee house gigs? plenty of companies offer killer all in one heads with biamp capabilities, stereo power, et.al. Maybe a component rig is not hte best way to go. too many variables. Ampeg, Swr, Ashdown, all make great gear . Your ears should guide you

14. Here's what I recently bought-

Peavey Max Bass Pre-Amp ($329)
    Peavey DPC1400X Amp ($895)
    Acme Low B-4 ($695)

This set-up PUMPS!!! I can move mountains and still have clear, defined mids and highs all at the same time. The Max pre is both tube and solid state (blendable), rather quiet, and rather flexible. The DPC puts out 1400 watts @ 4ohms (bridged), takes up a single rack space, and weighs in at 13lbs!!!