Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need amp advice, in easy english

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    I've been looking on the forums for advice...and I just don't really understand what you guys are talking about! So many abbreviations, I'm sorry I don't know the "lingo". But I was wondering if someone could help me out with some amp advice.

I play in my high schools jazz band, a small 5/6 piece jazz group, and a classic rock band (when we feel like it!). I really would like a tube amp because I prefer the warm sound. I am looking for a good amount of power 300+ watts but am unsure of what kinda of cabinet to purchase. One 2 x 10 one 2x12? a 2x10 and a 2x15? And of what make? I think I'd probably like to match head to cabinets unless that's just a stupid idea.

I need more power for classic rock and want to have enough power for anthing I may do. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Illinois
    If you've got the money, shoot for an Ampeg SVT-CL. It will provide 300 watts of tube power, and if you couple it with an Ampeg cabinet you'll get that signature classic rock sound.

I couldn't afford that rig, so I went with a Fender Pro 400 2X10 combo and a 1X15 cab for about $1500. Very loud and good range of tone. You'll have to let us know what you can and can't afford.

3. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Ehh, I guess you could say money is an issue. How about a 1800 dollar area, a 1200 dollar area, and a sub 1000 dollar area?

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ampeg... ampeg... ampeg?

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I too would say that you should look into Ampeg. I bought their SVT 410 HLF about 3 weeks ago, and I love it. Don't be afraid of all the reviews saying it's too deep, I've can really dial in any sound I need with it, and I only use the 300w Behringer head with it.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All tube is not such a hot idea. 300 watts weighs a ton (or 80 pounds), high maintenance costs, and they're more fragile. Hybrid amp is what you want. Tube preamp with solid state power section.

Ampeg for jazz? Pffffft. Eden. WT-550 with one D-410XLT. That's all you'll ever need.

7. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I second the tube pre-amp and solid state amp idea. And take a look at a Genz-benz NEOX212 for a cab; it will give you great low end, smooth highs, and as much volume as you want.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Or you could use a SABDDI driving into a PLX (with the appropriate modification) or if you prefer a rack-mount, go with an RBI up front. If the PLX is too much, you can move into an RMX or pick up an older used MX. A 160a will tighten things up for you, and a CEB-3 can give you some shimmer. Something like an XLT will probably produce the tone you want. I'd go with that.

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For about 1400 you could get a new Mesa/Boogie 400+. 500w of all tube power and it sounds amazing. Or for the same price you could also get a super powerful tube pre SS power rig.

10. Classic easy english as requested, Munji.

I agree, although, he should probably swap out the 12ax7's for 12ax7WA's, replace the flyback and upgrade the flux capacitors. Also, definitely put a FX-1 up front, add an odb-3 and a 462 sonic maximizer in the loop. That'll give it some shake :smug:

Seriously now, I have a Yamaha PB-1 solid state preamp that is cozy warm, no tubes. If you can find one used it'll be fairly cheap. Match that up w/any decent amp or power amp ie: QSC and a decent 4x10 eden, swr, ampeg, Dr. Bass, Lowdown Sound, etc should be plenty clean and loud. Scan through the amp section for amp talk and comments, you'll see what most folks seem to favor.

11. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, I think I am around 1200 for the entire setup. I really want tubes ...of some sort at least and probably at leas 350 watts at 4 ohms...

I am thinking a 2x12 or a 2x10, which will give me more power..."production" (volume) and handle highs and lows better?

Is it good to match heads to cabinets? (Manufacturer) I really like Eden's stuff but don't know about the prices!! This is pricey stuff. Amped seems really expensive too. hmmmm

12. Your best bet for an all tube design in a portable rig for the $1000 mark:

http://www.flitesound.com/products/default.asp?view=display&pid=34&type=5

If you need more volume, the balanced DI will still sound tubish. In other words, you just hook your amp on to the PA (public address system) I just have not heard it yet though but it LOOKS PRETTY TRICK and flite sound cabs are super light.

and only a volume and "body" control, nice and simple.

Does not appear to have overdrive so you have to get it the old-fashioned way: digging in on your jazz bass with the rear single coil pickup at half volume or less.

Those guys told me that this thing goes much louder than that $2,000 Ampeg B-100 portoflex reiisue.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Welcome to the world of bass amps
    i don't think you're going to find an all tube amp that delivers 350 watts for 1200 dollars, with or without a cabinet. Just for clarification, an amplifier head contains a preamp and a poweramp. If the preamp and the poweramp are both solid state, It's a solid state amp. If the preamp has tubes and the power amp is solid state, it's a hybrid. Most pro amps are hybrids BTW. An all tube amp has a tube preamp and a tube poweramp. I would suggest to you that you don't know what kind of amp you want until you go out and listen to a bunch of them. For guitar amps there's no question, all tube amps rule. For bass amps the opinions are much more varied. One of the great things about tube guitar amps is the way they distort. On the contrary, a good percentage of bass players dont want their amps to distort at all. As far as preamps go there are some solid state preamp sections that sound fantastic, and some tube preamps that sound less than great. Tube poweramp sections can sound wonderful, but a lot of players prefer the tighter sound of a powerful solid state power amp. You need to see for yourself what you like, and what you can live with for now. Don't decide you want all tubes because of the mystique or because a guitar player told you that solid state is crap.

here's some more info you may find useful. It's not exactly what you asked for but i love posting links to this thread - :p

ohms and amp info

14. Yeah he should try as many ones as he can before biting the bullet.

That new Traynor head sounds cool at 200 watts. Just need an efficent little cab to keep it under budget. Would love to hear one. Good brand for $$$. I have not finished reading the threads.

I think if he likes the tube sound, we should get it, but not without trying the hybrids that have good tube sound. Some hybrids have crappy tube sounds.

Mesa Scout Combo gives him 300 watts at 4 ohms and costs $1,100 and supposedly moves a lot of air and still can be hooked up to the PA. The head is removable too.

The Eden CXC series combos have a better tube sound to my ears than the SWRs, albeit a fake one using hi-tech ICs.

The Eden Nemises 210 combo is a self contained combo that sounds very warm to my ears and moves a lot of air. Good value for $$

And the Genz Benz combos mentioned would also make the list for hybrids w/ good cabs. Good for value $$$.

But he actually could get the V4 Ampeg + 210 cab for under budget, though it would be tight with delivery.

He needs to play his bass through them too when he tries them out, because an amp through an unfamiliar axe with bright, new strings won't give you an accurate picture.

15. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Ah, yes.......... :cool:

16. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    the problem with the V-4 is it's only 100 watts. I'd really like at least 300. I played through the Hartke hybrid (500?) a while a go and it sounded good, especially when you turn up the tube part (little above halfway) and the solid state down a little. Gives a really nice warm sound. What hybrids do you recommend for abour 800 or less with 300+ watts at 4 ohms?

I like the eden WT330 time traveller. What cabinet would go well with that head and whats the differeence between an eden 2x10 t 2x10 xlt etc?

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you like that Eden head and it's less than $600 (used maybe?) get it. Then go out and get yourself a couple used Bag End S15-D's (usually around $300 each) Use one for Jazz band and use two for classic rock band. Killer, very portable and flexable rig for $1200 or less. problem solved. :bassist:

18. Did you play it yet? Press the "warm" button. You can actualy tweak it to dial in your half-wave distortion. I just put the drive at about 1:00.

You can buy it in combo form. I think a two -10" cab would be fine. Eden's websight has a forum where you can read about the differences between the series. The specs Eden publishes are reliable, but product literature is another story.

But the important thing is that you get a 4 ohm cab, which will give you your required watts, 330 to be precise.

Everyone on this sight raves about those shroeder 1210 cabs, which cost like under 700 delivered. I am very tempted to try one as it seems to be the one of the few items on TB owners don't find any fault with. It is suppossed to move a ton of air, from what I have been reading.

Don't pay more than 75% of retail or "MSRP" from a music store or superstore, unless it is factory direct.

19. What about an Ashdown ABM 300 or 500 EVO11 they are very warm sounding, prices are reasonable, and then get the schroeder 1210 to go with it, sorted.

20. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Have you tried any G-K? Killer sound and the prices are IMO very good. The 700rb is 400 watts and moves plenty of air...
    you should be able to get the 700rb with a 4-10 for right around $1000. Go into Guitar Center two hours before closing and see what kind of deal they will make you. BTW, play as many amps and cabs as you can before you buy, and play through them with your bass. BTW, I love my SVT-CL and love my 8-10. It is a heavy beast however and the retubing costs every two years is getting old. The tone is one of a kind. Its just hard to get the Solid States to crank like those glowing tubes. Good luck and remember if is sounds good to your ear then it is!
    -One mans Crate is another mans Eden. :D