Need amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JAL, Jun 11, 2005.

1. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hey ya TBers.
    I own a couple of very good basses, and i need a new amp. Right now, im rockin' a woefully underpowered and muddy Crate BFX100. :-( Im in a band (pretty loud), and we gig a fair amount. Im thinking I need a new amp with good punch and tone (i play fretless). Any suggestions for a combo? I dont really have either the cash nor space for a stack. Any suggestions welcome; im not very knowledgable on amps @ all. Thanks foir the help already.
  2. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    If you absolutely must have a combo, one of your few actual doable options is the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout.

What is your price range, genre of music, and what kind of tone are you looking for? What kind of guitarists are you going up against, how much PA support are you getting?
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like the Fender Bassman combos above 100 watts. My favorite is the Bassman 400 Pro. For a little more money, a used SWR Super Redehead or Eden Metro would be about as good as it gets for combos. EBS makes a good combo too. I'd try to go with a 2X10, whichever brand you get.
  4. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I dont get much PA support; im goin up against a strat through a spyder 2 and a les paul thru a mesa boogie. The genre is alt. rock. Price range would probably be around 700.