1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need amp fast.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by milkman-27, May 21, 2012.

1. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    I have been playing bass for a while now, but for the past several years just at home as a hobby, so I eventually sized my bass amp down to something for just the home(15 watt practice amp). The other day I got a message from a drummer friend of mine who wants to start a new project and ask me if I would like to play bass, and I have to say that I was so stoked about the idea of playing in a band again that I said yes without thinking. My problem is that I am going to need to come up with a giggable amp by June with very limited funds. My budget is about $300-$400. He said that his idea is to play weddings, at a local winery that has live music, private parties, and some festivals. I have looked at the Fender Rumble 150 as it would be in my budget, but I am scared that it won't be enough. I really would hate to turn down an opportunity to start playing again, but I can't put my family in the hole financially to pursue it. So does anyone think that the 150 would be passable until I can afford a louder rig? And yes, I am going to go look at some used gear this weekend, but I am asking this on the assumption that I can't find anything.

2. I'd suggest going the used route. That being said, that rig will probably work fine. It has XLR out so you would be able to run into the PA system as well.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    'passable'?

You can find a $300 used rig somewhere that'll be fine for gigs.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Buy a real rig. Cheap out on the suits and cable TV service.

5. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    I don't think that cutting my budget will get me enough money by June, thanks anyway.

6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    try to find an SWR Workingmans 15.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Sell something? Definitely buy used. Where are you? Europe, Asia, N. America, etc.?

8. When is first gig? You can rehearse for awhile with your practice amp and understanding bandmates. Scraping up an extra hundred gets you into another level of nice used gear.

Weddings pay good money, parties not so much, I wonder how reliable the income stream will be. You are right not to get into debt over it, but if you are confident of getting regular work in your market you can make a case for raiding the household budget 25 a week for a month.

9. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    I'm in North America. The guy starting this say he plans on getting paying gigs and he's been pretty heavily involved in the local music scene for a while, so I am confident that we are going to make some money. I am selling some stuff now on ebay and so far I am at $200 on the stuff, but that was part of the $300-$400 that I mentioned earlier. I am going to try to sell my Alvarez acoustic on craigslist, but that can be a crapshoot at times. He plans to start rehearsing in June. He is in another band right now and he's trying to tie up all the loose ends there.

10. Okay, this could go great or it could flop. Just you and drummer enlisted so far? Even more reason to keep practising and saving for a good rig.

11. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    No, he's already got keys and vocalist lined up.

12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    If the budget is hard and fast, some suggestions: Ampeg B100R, GK MB150, GK MB210.

13. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Never been a better time in the history of bass playing to shop for used gear.

Craigslist for used heads/cabs. Low ball guys. Sell more stuff on ebay and craigslist.

Goodluck, have fun