Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need amp for Ampeg 4x10 classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmaultsby, Sep 22, 2005.

1. kmaultsby

kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    Newbie I just purchase a used Ampeg 4x10 classic not bad had a friend play some tunes on it to make sure it was ok using a Gallien-Krueger 300 watt head. At Guitar Center they have a sell of this amp for $300 any other Amp Heads that will work well with cabinet also may want to add a 1x15 in the future. :bassist:

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    There are a whole lotta heads that'll work well through that cab. What style of music interests you most and how much do you want to spend?
    Also, is it an 8ohm cabinet or 4ohm? Hopefully 8ohm if you want to add a 15 or you'll need to find a head that can go down to 2ohm's.

3. kmaultsby

kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    Thanks for asking those questions first it is a 8 ohms music I like to play a little of everything Rock R&B Jazz all finger style the Rock I like is Boz Burrell from Bad Company John Paul Jones not to much slapping. The price I like to keep low between $300-$500. :bassist:

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well, you would get a lot more amp for your money buying used. So keep your eyes open.
    I'm not too familiar with many heads in your price range. If you do want new, your on the right track with the GK(Gallien Krueger) Also look at Hartke, Eden's Nemesis line, maybe Ashdown's MAG series, Behringer. For around a hundred more you can get a very powerful Kustom Groove1200 head which many folks have been raving about.
    Basically, you can get some decent, quality heads in your price range, but power may be an issue down the road. Look used for more power.