Need Amp for Practice in my new dorm.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frank84, Feb 9, 2006.

1. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    Hello everyone.

Since I moved to my dorm, I finally got bunch of free time to practice my bass.

Problem? I dont have a small amp to play with...

I am looking for a small, portable bass amp that is mainly geared towards practice.

when I say small/portable, i am talking about... smaller/lighter than Roland cube.

I remember seeing one of those 'cigarret box sized' amp, where you plug in your headphone to play.

any suggestion?

p.s. price is a great factor in this matter too.

thank you. :hyper:
  2. If you want a headphone amp, get yo'self a Cafe Walter.
  3. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    not a little 9vt amp.
    spend 50-100 and get a small 20watt crate or something. When i lived in the dorms i was playing on a hartke 3500 and a 4x10, so i wouldn't know.
  4. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    To be honest I really wouldn't put too much thought or effort into this purchase. You don't really need tone or volume. Just enough to hear yourself. Get a small practice amp or a headphone amp and don't think about it again. Anything at all should last you the time your in that dorm.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Another vote for a headphone amp.
  6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    If you have the money, get the Fodera or raven labs headphone amp.
  7. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I'd recommend two Ampeg 8x10 fridges :D .......ok but seriously, the roland cubes are great, as are the crate combos..I have a Washburn that i use in my room (live at home with the folks). It works for me...
  8. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i keep my amp at my band's practice space, so when i want to practice i plug into my laptop, running either logic express or ableton live. i wouldnt want to do it without solid headphones.
  9. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    exactly what i am thinking...

i checked out the Cafe Walter.. looks very cute...

any other recommendation for headphone amps??

btw, those softwares are EXPENSIVE! and for APPLE ONLY!

thank you all for help. :hyper:

Ok, never mind about that Cafe Walter... It's too pricey for me.
    I couldn't even buy my Geology Text book this semester... :(
  10. Get the Peavey Microbass, it sounds great...
  11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I use an Ampeg B 50 rocket. It has a single 12 that can be plenty loud or quiet. I do not know if this is too big for your needs, but it sure sounds great. It weighs about 20 lbs.[​IMG]