1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need amp help Quick!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by colorblindbass, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ok,

i have a half stack thats a combo

450 watts, its a Behringer.

4x10 speakers, sectioned in two 2x10's running at 8 ohms each, making a 4x10 cabinet that runs at 4 ohms.

head which is attached to speaker cabinet, is rated for 4 ohms.

cabinet has one 1/4 inch output jack for each 2x10.

head has two 1/4 inputs and one speakon input.

i want to buy another single 1x15 cabinet, with one 1/4 in. input, one 1/4 in. output, and one speakon input.

How do i set this up without making the head go boom.

i need this information fairly quick, as i have a gig tomorrow, and i need to buy the cabinet around 4 o'clock.

Please and thank you.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You can't add any more speakers to that set up, as you've already said, you're running a 4 ohm load with a head rated at 4 ohms. Are you not understanding, or is it me who's missed something here?

3. see, the thing is, a friend of mine plays bass through the same type of behringer 450 watt head,
    runs a speakon cable from head to 4 ohm cab.

then he runs an 8 ohm cabinet into the 4 ohm cabinet with a 1/4.

it works perfect and sounds great.

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    you can run 1 -210 ,8 ohm and a 1-15 8ohm, or the 2 -210's. Not all 3 cabs. I would stick w/ the 2-210's. I think the $ spent for the 15 would disappoint you. Alot of bassplayers love and play a 410 setup. I personally like the tone of my 210 cab better than my 212. But they do work fine together.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    The catch is: the cabling thing doesnt matter. He has a 2.67 ohm load and the head wont last long:crying:

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    that head has 3 outputs all wired in series. like it says right on the back of the amp, you can use two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab. connecting the cabs that way is still putting them in parallel which is not going to be good for your head. your friend, running the cabs the way he is, is running at 2.67 ohms and is running the risk of blowing the head.

i wouldn't recommend it. either use one of the 8 ohm 2x10s with an 8 ohm 1x15 or get an 8 ohm 4x10 with an 8 ohm 1x15.

7. but its lasted for 2 years?

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    its your head to take the risk with but just remember that not everyone is as lucky as your friend has been.

behringer rates the head with a 4 ohm minimum load, its yours to lose if you want to run it differently.

9. yeah im just gonna run it at 2.67 ohms.

its a crappy head anyway and if it dies soon ill just borrow rigs.

Big thanks for the input everyone :D

10. Synergymusicpro

Synergymusicpro

Feb 22, 2008
    The only possible way to achive this is reconfigure the wiring of the cabs. Each driver is either 4 ohms wired in sieries or 16 ohms wired in parallel. The drivers would have to be 16 ohms and then wired in sieries to make 32 ohms to each cab. Once the cabs are connected together, it will make a 16 ohm load. But doing this almost defeats the purpose of getting an additional cab. If each driver is 4 ohms, this will not work. Havig a single 4x10 cab is the most effetive way to produce solid bass response; moreso than a single 15 due to the amount of back pressure 4 drivers can prodce in a single cab. So, my recomendation is to purchase a 4x10 4ohm cab and run that with your 2x10 combo.

I hope this helps.

11. If the amp is rated into 4Ω and he is running as you describe the amplifier WILL fail. It's just a matter of when!

Paul

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's bad decision #2 right there . . .

13. There are none so blind as they that don't wish to see.

Paul

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, good luck to you then. I wouldn't loan you any of my gear, if you insist on taking unneccessary risks with what you have. I hope you work it all out.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So he's running his head at 2.7 ohms. If he turns it up, it'll let the smoke out sooner or later.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a fool believes he sees
    No wise man has the power to reason away.
    What seems to be
    Is always better than nothing ...

~ Mike McDonald

17. Hi.

+100 for what have been said over and over again.

Don't run an amp below the recommended load. More so with a brand that has some reliability issues even when used per the instructions. There is NO power reserve in the Behringer design IME.

If the Your rig dies in the middle of the set, will there be a back-up. If the chip or discretes let the full DC to the speakers when they die, You probably have no head and no speakers.

Wise?

Methinks NOT, but that's just IMHO.

Regards
    Sam

18. Well at least you all have had your chance to thouroghly insult me enough :(

i ran it at 2.67 for an hour saturday night, never got it past 9 O'clock on the volume knob and it sounded great.

19. If you get on here asking for advice and then just ignore the (good) advice given, you can't complain about being called a fool, and you should expect some criticism.

20. If that's how You feel about our advice, then why ask in the first place???

A few of us have broken our gear in the past due the impedance mismatch, and there was no crappy cheapos around that time so it was costly.

Just dont blame the Behringer as a brand when something smokes, please.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam