Need amp function not helpful.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkSheep08, Dec 31, 2005.

1. In fact, it threw a wobbler when I tried and wouldn't let me do anything else on the site for a while. :p

So...I'm returning to the bass after 10+ years, owning equipment for the first time. Here's what I'm looking for:
    --a nice warm, round tone (no crunchy rock stuff)
    --smallish combo unit as a) I don't know enough about amps yet to fiddle with separate components and b) I'm in a dorm room and space is at a premium
    --want at least 100 watts and a 15" speaker as it has to reasonably compete with my home stereo system for balls (in order to save my silly pride!! :) And yes, in case you're wondering, I am the lone occupant of my dorm room!!)
    --has a good reputation for durability as I will probably be getting a used model
    --will run under $500 used as I'm a flat broke graduate student and need to rein in my rampant debt

Recommendations? Am I chasing the Holy Grail here?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Check out a Peavey TNT115. Under $500 new and durable as any amp on the market. Unfortunately, it is heavy as he...... ;)

There is also the Fender Bassman 250/115, Fender Rumble 100, Ashdown MAGC115T, Ampeg BA115, Eden Nemesis N15S, etc.

There are a lot of combos that will fit your requirements out there. Get out to the stores and let your ears tell you which one.
  3. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    The Carvin PB200-15, at a cost of $349.99, might be a good option for you. Below are the technical specs:

Technical Specs:
    • Power amp: 160 watts @ 8 ohms, 2 x 80 watts @ 4 ohms (two internal power amps bridged), typical THD less than .1%, Freq. Response: 20 to 20k Hz
    • Tuned bass reflex enclosure response: 41Hz to 16k Hz
    • 3 pre EQ FILTERS; +6dB @ 100 Hz, -7 dB @ 250 Hz or @ 500 dB and + 6dB @ 6k Hz
    • shelving tone controls with BASS ±12dB @ 80 Hz, MID ±12dB sweep able from 300 to 3k Hz and TREBLE ±12 dB at 8k
    • Variable COMPRESSOR
    • NOISE GATE with 30db quieting
    • post 5 band GRAPHIC EQ ±12 dB @ 80, 250, 500, 800 and 2k
    • Effects send/line & receive jacks
    • headphone jack and one 8 ohm & two 4 ohm speaker jacks
    • tuned bass reflex enclosures: 15" 40-16k Hz
    • constructed with Poplar plywood -- not particle board -- for light weight portability
    • Covered in black DuraTuff II™
    • PB200-15: 17.5"W x 12"D x 25"H
    • Wt: 54 lbs.
    • Cover for the PB200-15: CV155

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Ampeg B100-R. 100 watts, 15" speaker, Great sound, awesome blue diamond tolex. Seriously, this is my favorite sounding combo, without getting into the boutique market.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I have absolutely no need for one, but would still like to own one.
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I've had one for 5 years or so now. While it doesn't hold a candle to my stack volume wise, it is wonderful for practice and small gigs/jams.
  7. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SWR Workingman's 15 or, better, Workingman's 12.
  9. Thanks for the help so far! Will mull all these over when I'm back from break...look at specs and so on. And get my axe set up in the meantime so I can get on reteaching myself how to play way in hell am I going into any shop and plugging in with my current proficiency on the thing. *blushes*Feeling quite self-conscious about this whole thing still...but thanks for not giving this noob a hard time. :)