Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dsmith, Jul 23, 2002.

1. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    OK, after reading through the archives, I have decided to buy a new rig. I am going to order an Avatar 410 cab, my question is 8 or 4 ohm. And whats the best power amp and pre-amp I can buy for the money.

I played through a Hartke 4.5 and a 5000 head for about a year, and intended to purchase a 115xl, but quickly found out that I have no need for an additional cab. So ordering a 4 ohm cab sounds more realistic in my situation, but your suggestions are needed.

Most of my gigs have been close to home, but thats fixing to change. Most venues we have played in the past have been enclosed areas, with a maximum of 500 people. Some very VERY large gigs are coming up , but don't think my stage volume would have to change, If the soundman can tap me into the monitors a little. Of course, if I add an additional 410 4 ohm cab, the Crown will handle the load, but GEEZ!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I said this in the 4 ohm thread, but I highly recommend using 8 ohm cabinets. Maybe you'll never want a 1x15 but maybe you'll want to put another 4x10 on the other side of the stage... Your rig won't be much louder (if at all noticable) at 4 ohms than at 8 and your amp will run cooler.

As for power amps...there are a lot of good ones. I use a QSC PLX-2402. It's powerful, light weight, reliable, sounds good and was reasonably priced.

The best preamp for you is the one that gives you the tone that you're looking for at a reasonable price. I have an older Pearce BC-1 that I really like. The EQ is flexible, the two channels can be blended for clean/mean tones and it was a bargain. I was offered a lot of money for it a few weeks ago and realized that I couldn't think of a preamp that I'd rather have...

Good luck!!!!